Sports quilt - Need design ideas

Hi all. I need help with this one. It is a lap size quilt made with University of Iowa fabrics. My customer wants it custom quilted. She first wanted the U of I logo copied in some of the blocks. I was told that the U of I has caused problems in the past with their logo being used on quilts, tshirts, etc. So I told her that I wouldn't copy the logo. We talked about maybe putting some footballs in some of the blocks. But I don't have a clue what to do with the other blocks or what to do with the U of I fabric.

My idea is to do a very simple, generic pantograph on the quilt with monopoly. The come back with yellow yarn/thread and couch 'University of Iowa' across one of black strips that go across the quilt. Then I could also couch some footballs with brown yarn/thread in some of the other blocks. In my minds eye this would look ok. What do you guys think? Would it look ridiculous? Any other ideas??

Thanks!!

Debbi

post--13461900152493_thumb.jpg

You know, CH is not such a bad idea Shana. Maybe a freehand wavy CH in some of the blocks. At least some food for thought....

I had an email from this customer last night. She now wants "ALWYS4U" (her license plate) quilted into the quilt somewhere in block letters. The quilt is for her boyfriend and I'm wondering what will happen to the quilt if they every break up?? :o:o

Debbi

OK, so glad that you got that quilt instead of me. It looks a bit like a turning 20 on steroids. I really like your ideas with the couching. I think that footballs would help settle the quilt a bit. My eyes jump all around that quilt looking for structure.

I hope that you will post a photo when you are done. Hey, only 9 days til KC.

I think it is a great idea to quilt the words "University of Iowa" across the black stripe in the middle. You can quilt the words "GO HAWKEYES!" in a couple of places -- maybe on one yellow and one black rectangle. Then do footballs and/or basketballs, and other sports items (maybe a pantograph with these) on the rest of the quilt.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think the creative juices are starting to flow on this quilt now. :D:D It's a toughie. I'd love to do an all over design on this quilt, but my customer wants it custom quilted and I just don't see custom quilting on this one.

I looked at Dave Hudson's football pantos. Looks like one of them might work pretty well in the large black blocks. I'll probably order it tonight. Then maybe incorporate wavy lines or crosshatch along with the couching U of I, Go Hawkeys and ALWYS4U in some of the other blocks. Should be a pretty interesting and unique quilt when it is done. :P:P

Linda C - I think you are right about the couching helping to settle the quilt down a bit and give it some structure. Good point!!

Debbi

Archived