Tips on using very sparkley threads, please...

I have read all of the posts on razzle dazzle and been experimenting with razzle dazzle on the DSM...it is a very thick thread so only worked in the bobbin

I had been admiring the Ricky Tims quilts at FOQ and liked the heavy blanket stitch around the motifs. I don't think he used Razzle Dazzle there and I have found a Madeira that behaves quite nicely.

I THINK he used the razzle dazzle in the bobbin so must have quilted feathers from the back of the quilt... SO how do you do this but not run over anything important on the design if you can't see the front?- also the bobbin won't hold very much...

so what is the best way to get glamorous feathers using a heavy duty sparkley thread?!

LINZI x

Linzi,

I have some razzle dazzle but haven't tried it yet. What I was going to do was to stitch twice. Once with the top up so I could get the design placement exactly where I want it and then a 2nd time with the quilt upside down and razzle dazzle in the bobbin. It is so thick that it will definitely cover up the first stitching. Another thought is to use water soluble and do the first stitching and then stitch again upside down.

If I remember right, I think Ricky Timms does his thread work before he puts the quilt sandwich together. He uses the thicker thread in the bobbin, and does his thread play from the wrong side of the quilt, then he puts the sandwich together then quilts it with regular thread, quilting around the design he has stitched on the quilt front.

Patty Jo - I can't take full credit for that! Renae Haddidin told me that was what she did on one of her show quilts, only she used a metallic. It was like somebody had turned the light switch on for me! I'll take credit for the water soluable thread though...haven't seen that one. OK maybe I should try it first, it may not work!

Archived