How Tight Should the Quilt Be??

meg_marsh

Ok experts............ I am still trying to figure out how tight, loose the quilt should be on the table. So far no real problems, but am constantly concerned. Have not been lucky enough for someone to actually show me and let me feel what is correct - I am visual and feel by nature.

At this point, I tighten everything up to a point where it is very smooth and then bounce my hand on it. I know it is a bit tighter than in a hoop, but it does seem to have bounce. If I put anything on it with a little weight, there is a tiny bit of sag where the item is. Hope you can figure out what I am describing - and then let me know if this is correct or should I adjust differently.

I float the top and once it is in place, I put a few pins along the quilt top roller bar. I am finding I like this method because it allows me to more easily keep everything straight.

Hi Meg. I have the best results when my quilt sandwich is more on the loose side. For instance, I roll it until it is tight, then loosen up a couple notches. Keep in mind that my Nolting table is different than the APQS table, but I think you can see what I mean. In other words, I loosen until there is a little big of a "sag" in the sandwhich and when I am moving my machine, you can see it moving underneath. Does that make any sense at all?

My trainer said that if you drop a quarter on it from a reasonable height (12 inches or so) the quarter shouldn't bounce.

Based on my vast experience on the subject (6 quilts), I find that if there is as much "play" as if I were playing the piano, it seems to be all right. Of course, that statement may not help people who don't play the piano. I was surprised when I learned this, as I expected it to need to be much tighter.

I think I have mine more on the loose side than the tight side and haven't had any problems. There seem to be more problems with too tight than too loose, and it appears that too tight is absolute disaster, so I suggest that you err on the side of too loose.

Meg, I think you are like me and rachet that thing down tight as a drum. I found on my last quilt, that was too tight. You could have bounced a quarter off of it. I loosened it up and it quilted much better. I don't think the thing is supposed to bounce when the machine is running. ;)

If you are not having problems, chances are, you have it just right. When I did the vintage quilt that I posted under Circle Lord - Baptist Fan, I had the sandwich very tight because the top was so goofy. My thread was making loops, skipping stitches, and just looked terrible. I thought the bobbin was bad, bobbin case, I tried just about everything. Then it occured to me that things were very, very tight. I loosened it up and no more problems with thread tension.

Lynda - interesting concept & of course there are moles in your area. We have had a family home in Gearheart for many, many years and the moles can be quite a problem at times. I don't think I have been seeing enough of a mole - am putting on some practice material next and will try it. Thanks.

Also the quarter idea is good - will try both ideas.

No bouncing of the quarter!! & look for the mole............ what a picture:D

If I'm having a little loop on the back, maybe I have my backing too tight? I have it pretty tight. I will try to loosen it up tonight and see how that works.

I not very computer lierate, but I can't seem to find many answers to my posts. Maybe there aren't any? I have had a couple.

• 1 month later...

Brenda, the reason you are not getting many answers to your posts may be that you post when the thread is "almost done". You might get better results if you would start a new thread for your question by clicking on "Topic" which starts a new thread, instead of clicking on "Reply" which puts your comment after all the others on a thread which may not really be relevant to your concern.

There are no restrictions on who can start a thread, so go for it! Make your subject line relevant to your concern.

If your problem is that you can't find the threads you wrote to in order to see if there is follow-up, go to the Search feature at the top left of the page and put your screen name into the second box. Check down below for the length of time for the search to go back to. That will call up all the posts you have made for that length of time.

Hi Gang,

I'm asked all the time, "How tight is too tight?" Here is food for thought:

[*] If you have tightened the fabric so much that your pick up roller bends, how do you think the quilt will react once it's off the frame?

[*] Can you see the piecing threads between the seams, indicating the quilt is being stretched? (too tight!)

[*] do you feel any ridges or "hills" if you run your hand close to the pins holding your backing and/or quilt top to the pick up roller? (too tight!)

[*] Does the hopping foot seem to "plow" the fabric as you quilt (especially with thicker batting or seams), especially when you quilt near the leveler bar? (too tight!) The foot should "hop" over to the next stitch, not push the fabric.

[*] After you've adjusted the layers to where you think the pressure is right, try slowly raising the handle on your brake(s) and watch the quilt. Did it slowly relax, or spring back to its original shape like a woman crawling out of a girdle? :)

[*] When you overtighten the quilt sandwich, you compress the batting layer, reducing the space for the top and bottom thread to lock--increasing the risk of pokeys on the back.

[*] A drum-tight top increases needle flex (see my latest QuiltTalk article for more info on needle flex) and tension issues.

[*] If you quilted on a domestic machine before buying your longarm, how tight did you have it then? :)

The mole analogy is great. Some quilters check the fabric tension by pushing their index finger up from the underside of the quilt, then trying to grasp it through the layers up to the first knuckle. Grab too much....too loose; grab too little, too tight.

I promise, you'll eventually find a spot that is right for you!

There's always a flip side...

If the sandwich is too loose, you could get pleats or tucks on the back, especially when using rulers.

Brenda,

A little loop on the back could be from the fabric being too tight, but it can also be a sign that the top tension is too loose.

Archived