loading and stitching for pantograph

what are the basic differences between loading a quilt to quilt for a pantogram and loading to work from the front of the machine. I keep seeming to get things backwards and get into a bind where the quilt wont wind because the top and back are turning away from each other.

So if I want to work from the back what do I have to reverse to have it come out right. I seem to be either working upside down or from bottom to top which seems wrong.

TAlk about feeling like an idiot. :o Jeanne

I don't load them any different.. I may load one sideways now and then. If the top and backing are rolling against each other.. one of them is on the roller wrong.. No.. not wrong, just wound to the wrong way. My backing rolls off the top of the roller, and the top rolls off the bottom..

I never thought of loading the quilt wrong for a pantograph.. I just turn the panto around so it's right side up for the quilt..

RitaR

I load my quilts the same for custom and for pantos. The top of the quilt is basted up at the top. I turn the panto upside down if it is directional when working from the back of the machine. Example: if it's a teddy bear his feet are away from me. With the majority of pantos it doesn't matter.

I'm not sure I correctly understood your question as I would expect the quilt top and backing to work in the same fashion regardless of which way you were working.... Do you do a full float when working from the front - or do you roll the quilt with the leader?

I also load as normal - backing pinned to the back roller (back of machine) and pinned/rolled onto the front roller. Baste the batting near the top of the backing (closest to the back roller bar) and finally baste the top next to the basting line created when basting the batting on. (I float the batting and top. I like the fact that this allows me to keep things square more easily.) The backing is the only piece attached to 2 bars. I then just advance the quilt as necessary. The three pieces should all advance to the back roller bar together - front to back. They will be rolling toward you when you are standing at the back of the machine & away from you when you are standing at the front of the machine. Hope this makes sense and good luck.

Nope you load each quilt the same...:P Actually there is only one way to load a quilt...with the exception of maybe loading it sideways if need be, but the top is on it roller unless you do a full float...and the backer on it roller, with both and the batting be attached to the take up roller....:)

Archived