needle size

The 4.0 needle is the recommended size but leaves a serious hole especially on batiks and other high-thread-count fabrics.

A 3.5 will work as well but other sizes are not the best for the APQS machines.

Pokies can be caused by batting with the wrong side up or a tight top. Sometimes after removing from the rollers, the pokies will be less noticable.

Hope this helps.

I find batiks incredibly hard on needles and have to change over much more frequently. Some unwashed, cheap homespuns are just as harsh. I just keep listening for any 'popping' noises and keep an eye on the back. Of course, it always happens when you've got two rows left and you just want to struggle on!

For the first six months I used the size 4 needles while I got used to my new Lenni. I've now switched down to a 3 (which I used to use with my old machine). So far no problems and I must say it's much nicer with the thinner threads.

Regards, Judy

I have only done three small quilts on my machine but lots of practice. Never noticed the holes before. Just changed the needle. I am using So Fine in the top, and Mono-poly in the bobbin. The backing is black. I loosened my top on the rollers, but still see big holes. From sitting under the table, I can see daylight through the holes. Hopefully, these will close some when it is off the rollers.

APQS machines are timed for a 4.0 needle. The needle holes should close up with the first washing. The needle size should be determined with what kind of thread you are using on what type of fabric. Working on batiks a 3.5 needle works better, but if you are using a thicker thread (like King Tut) you'd need a needle with a larger eye...hence a 4.0. I change out my needle with every new quilt on my machine. If you ever have a chance to take a thread seminar with Bob from Superior threads, he gives the best advice I've heard yet about choosing needles and threads and tension. I know he is the owner of Superior threads, but the info he gives is genereal and pertains to all threads and needles. I refer to the education section on his site all the time.

Do a search on some of the past posts too, our DawnCavanaugh gives incredible advice on this issue too. Pokies can be the cause of the batting or backing too. Hope this helps.

Hi Judy and gang,

One last word on needle holes, if you can stand it:)

We get questions and concerns about "pokeys" on the back of the quilt all the time. I want to reiterate to everyone that the needle has to be a large size to accommodate the machine's movement (see this week's QuiltTalk article on the Home Page). Yep, it will leave some pretty large holes in the quilt. The good news is that if your needle is nice and sharp, the holes will close up when the quilt can relax off the machine.

To speed up the "closing up" process, consider tossing the quilt into the dryer after it is bound, using the "air fluff" setting for a few minutes.

Now, on to the pokeys. Because the needle leaves the big hole behind, many quilters get fooled into thinking their tension is "off". That's because the skinny little thread is inside the big hole. You're seeing the color of the thread peering through the layers.

The only time they are really "pokeys" is if you can FEEL the top thread with your fingernail as you drag it along the thread path (under the quilt). That would indicate that the bobbin thread has actually pulled the top thread all the way to the back of the quilt, creating a tiny "bump" of top thread on the back.

Don't be fooled by seeing the thread color "inside" the hole. The threads could very well be locked in the batting layer; it's just that you can see the thread color in the hole. Only if the thread breaks the "plane" of the quilt back is there actually a "pokey" issue.

To reduce the effect of the large needle holes, you can certainly drop down a size to a 3.5. Keep in mind that this will increase the needle's flexing motion, and could result in REAL pokeys on the quilt back at the expense of the smaller hole.

You will certainly see daylight if you are looking up underneath the quilt. Remember that the quilt will relax, and those holes will tighten up.

Finally, if you are using a very dark fabric for the top and/or back, always consider using a black batting as well.

Keep watching QuiltTalk on the Home Page in the upcoming weeks as I devote several articles (and hopefully a video or two) to thread tension.

Happy Quilting!

Dawn

Thanks for your comprehensive rundown on needles and tension. I must admit I didn't give needle flexing much consideration. Based on your advice, I'll go up to a 3.5 and even consider putting the 4 back in!:)

:)

You're spot on with the black batting. I've just done three black quilts using white batting! It's murder!

As so many have said, this is the best site!

Thanks Dawn and all you helpful people out there.

Regards, Judy

Archived