Frustration

Originally posted by DoryJM

Robin,

Can you e-mail me a copy of your quilt prep list. That sounds like a good idea!

And Shana...any luck finding your class notes?? I hate to re-invent the wheel. (read that as being lazy!:P)

Sorry, I am out of town on a business trip... anyway, here are two attachments. The PDF file was taken from another web site. The Word document is just some talking points I spoke to. I think I handed these two out so my guild members could take them home for reference.

Here's the first attachment:

Longarm.doc

Am I some where warm? ARE YOU KIDDING????? ROFLMAO! :P

No, I am currently not some place warm. I am on a work trip. I am on the pipeline at pump station 3 north of the Brooks Range right now on the north slope. It's snowing. But, I have a comfy warm bed and the food in our camp is incredibly delicious. Last night I had some really spicy ribs. They were so good I totally pigged out. Absolutely totally pigged out. Yum! They feed us good out here in no where land... :P

And one more thing...while I have your attention::D

I'm going to finish the charity quilts I have and then put specifications on what I will and will not take. No quilts without backs unless its specified at the time they're dropped off; no quilts with backs that aren't big enough; no quilts with fabric that should be thrown away and not used and no quilts with pieces that I'm supposed to put together for the back. Mean..that's me...I'm mean!:mad:

But...here's my question: On many of these, I'll be using my muslin for backs. Since they are charity quilts, should I just go ahead and use same thread top and bobbin and not have to worry about the tension issues that will most definitely cause me headaches. I've seen Murphy hiding in my studio:P

Since they are charity quilts, should I just go ahead and use same thread top and bobbin and not have to worry about the tension issues that will most definitely cause me headaches.

My vote is yes....use the same top and bottom. They not only will look nice, but you won't have the headache of dots on top and/or on the bottom....

But...here's my question: On many of these, I'll be using my muslin for backs. Since they are charity quilts, should I just go ahead and use same thread top and bobbin and not have to worry about the tension issues that will most definitely cause me headaches. I've seen Murphy hiding in my studio:P

Hi Dory. Well, if you ask my humble opinion (lol) remember these are your quilts you are donating to charity. So that said, you can use whichever threads you want: either both the same colors top & bottom, or a different color thread on top and a different color on bottom. That does not matter. :)

But what does matter (I believe) is that regardless of this, you should always strive to have good tension, no matter who gets it or where that quilt goes to whichever charity you choose. Do your best work always, no matter what. It's good practice and good experience and a good habit to continually check and tweak your tension as needed. Don't be afraid to loosen and tighten if you see something funky going on. Especially folks like you and me who are still new and learning. If you haven't already found it, you some day (soon) will have an "A ha! I get it!" moment where you suddenly get it and it all makes sens...and you know your machine and your tension and you are not afraid. It just happens. For example, it's like when you get in sync riding your horse and that moment happens when you find you are one with your pony. Same thing happens and you are one with your longarm's tension. :)

PS: I used to be really afraid to mix thread colors. I have been mixing and matching colors a lot lately with good results. Sometimes just stick your neck out and try. Experiment. If you start to get pokies, tweak the top tension a little bit.

Oh, and puffy batting helps. It is your friend. :)

Okay, Shana...first things first: You could have been someplace warm...maybe:P:P But a nice comfy bed and great food should make the cold easier to deal with. :D

I totally agree with you about doing my best on these charity quilts. They are for me to practice, but I want them to be really nice so that people will look at them and then HIRE me to quilt for them. I didn't mean that I would be lazy about doing them by matching the thread. In fact, although it might be easier (no pokies), it will also be harder because the colored thread will really show up my quilting on the back.

I've been doing different colors top and bobbin and my tension has been pretty good...or so I thought. I had to do a bit of frogging and used my husband's magnifying headband thing to do it with (sure made it easier) and noticed that my tension wasn't as great as I'd thought. Hope my customer doesn't have a magnifying glass!;)

Oh...puffy batting is what comes with these quilts...yippee.

And the "one with the horse" comment is really comical. When we were training for Tevis (100 miles in 24 hours from Lake Tahoe, CA to Auburn, CA), we were so "one" that neither of us realized we were gaining on a bear on a really narrow trail that dropped down 100' into the river on one side and went very high up on the other. My DH said, very calmly behind me, "Hey, Dory, you might want to slow down before you catch that bear.":P

You all just kill me! :D:D Sandra, I am sooo proud of you! And Linda you just rock all over the place! I used to be really bad about letting people lead me around and tell me how it should be. I finally figured out that just because someone says "you have to ______" does not means it's true, it's just what they want me to do to make them happy. I'm not responsible for making someone else happy, especially to the point that it makes ME unhappy! (Thank you Joyce Myer!). People like this leave a trail of others behind them scrambling to make everything perfect for them and give them what they want, when the only one responcible for that is theirself. They tease and pressure others just to get what they want so that their world works for them regardless of howmuch they put someone else out. I like to be helpfull, I enjoy being there when someone is in need, I will not be taken advantage of. I just hope that what it's my turn I can be so tactful! :D

I finished my charity quilt and decided to use matching thread to the fabrics. The top had blue and off-white Signature and the back was pre-wound Masterpiece Bisque. Took me awhile and a bit of frogging, but the tension is finally perfect:P and I think it turned out cute. Its a panel quilt with puppies on it with blue sashing. I did a swirly type design in the sashing and just stippled around the puppies.

I checked the back and I have a bit of frogging to do from when the tension wasn't perfect, but its not a big deal. It turned out nicely and I'm glad Shana gave me the push to play with the tension.

Shana, you surely lead an interesting life! About tension: My tension is perfectly wonderful. I have had to do very little adjustments. However, when I make a point, the thread from the bobbin makes one eyelash on the quilt top. I concentrate on stopping at each point to ensure the bobbin has cought up with the needle. That doesn't help. I have loosened the top tension (even though it looks great and so does the bottom tension) and still I have an small eyelash at each point. Any suggestions from the peanut section?:o:o:o:o

Archived