Problem with Fairfield Batting

I HATE FAIRFIELD 80/20. Not only does it stretch with the lightest touch, NOW it is all of a sudden PUCKERED in the middle. I have no idea how to get it flat, if that is even possible. Several customers lately have brought this crap to me probably because JoAnns (the &^%$#'s ) aren't selling Hobbs Heirloom here anymore. I have it on the roll but not in King size, of course. I'm thinking I might just start carrying it, but you can't buy a roll of it, only boxes of pre-packaged, which have their own problems with creases. ARRRRGGGGHHH.

Thanks for listening.

My mechanical engineer DH made me the coolest thing! He hung a long PVC pipe in my quilting studio from the ceiling (using those hangers made for hanging plants). He attached small pullies to these and put a brass cleat on the wall to tie off to. A thin rope then pulls the thing up and down. I can hang prepackaged battings over the PVC pipe and easily steam them flat with one of those Homedics steamers they sell at Hancock's (pretty often they are $39 on sale). I just love it. Packaged battings are so wadded up I could never get them smooth before. I would post a picture but I'm pretty challenged at that. I'll try at a later date.

Julie

So you can get 120" on the roll? I have only found 108" so far but I haven't tried to get it from Hobbs due to having to buy so much. I used to go in with a couple of friends for 96" rolls. I'll have to check further. Or maybe I didn't even look at it and rolled right past it. I usually buy from Gammill or Hancocks of Paducah. Shipping is still something like $50. Also can get it from Brewers (or whatever they are now), but not 120"roll from them.

I'm also married to a mechanical engineer who has used PVC to make me something to hang quilts from as well. I hadn't thought of trying to steam a batt from it!

Jones3jm, can you get just one roll of 120" from there?

I didn't think I did enough king size quilts to justify buying a whole roll of 120", tho...but I know I would eventually use it up, even if it took a year.

When I have Mountains and Valleys in batting, I throw it in the dryer on the coolest setting, with a couple three hand towels, which I've wet thoroughly and rung as dry as I can get them.. That really helps it lay out flat.. After about 10 min. I remove the towels and leave the batting in another 5 min. Slick as sn-t on ice. :o

RitaR

Archived