loops on bottom of quilt

I am a fairly new to long arm quilting and am having lots of fun while learning the nuances of my machine! One problem I had on my last quily was very small loops of thread on the bottom, but not all over. The loops seem to be random and it is not enough to cause a broken thread or a mess with the bobbin thread. In fact, my husband did not even notice them until I pointed them out. Is this a tension problem, a speed problem or maybe a dull needle? Any help would be appreciated!

On tip I can give you is always, always blow the dust out of the bobbin area and oil it. Usually every couple of quilts I change the needle also. I always adjust the tension with every quilt I do.

I used to have a lot of problems with breaking thread, loose thread and such, but not anymore.... good luck....It sound like your tension is not correct. Try adjusting the bobbin tension ........Barb

A tiny "lint glob" in the bobbin case can cause random loops as it will cause the bobbin thread to "stick" (be tighter) every once in a while. If you are positive that your case is clean (Don't forget to run a business card under the bobbin tension clasp to remove any tiny hiding globs), then I suggest that your top tension needs to be tightened just a tad bit.... Try this and see if it helps!!! :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you found the answer to the loop problems, please let me know. I have had my machine 2 days and have worked non stop trying to get rid of those little loops. Machine is oiled and perfectly clean, has new needle and lined properly. I've changed types of thread, prewound and had wound bobbins, cotton batting, poly batting, ran the tension from completely tightened to completely loose. I've use Moda fabric and batiks - all the same result, nice on top and little random loopies on the back. I have 15 quilts to get done by the weekend and can't do even one. I've been on the line to a tech for hours. Nice as he is, we still can't find the problem.

I have had problems all week with loops, tracks and whatever. Gremlins??

I'm out of tricks also. Doe anyone think it could be the spring in the bobbin? Does that have to be changed from time to time. I have had to bring up the spring a bit once. What about the bobbin case? Can they just get worn and not hold the tension? I do use prewounds and find that they work better with the cardboard off.

Any input about the bobbin case would be appreciated.

Thanks

The way I learned it was, loops on the bottom means bad tension on the top.

Before you twist anything, if you have an extra bobbin case,

try that one with the same thread and see if you get loops.

I check e-v-e-r-y bobbin I use with a TOWA tool because I

get so frustrated with tension issues. And you would think

that prewound bobbins would be consistent, and they

are...... mostly. I check each one.

If no extra bobbin case, try this:

Try tightening (rightsy-tightsy) your top tension a quarter

turn then test. Repeat until you get it the way you like it

• 13 years later...
  • 1 month later...