Discounts for pattern designer samples?

quiltiste

Hi there, I need your opinions on this one please--I am just full of questions this week--thank you so much this forum is GREAT!!!

OK, so I met up with an old customer with mine from several years ago who is a well-known pattern designer, and when I did some samples of hers years ago when I was brand new, I didn't even think to offer a discount. The quilts I did travel with her to the shows and trunk shows she does as samples. I have gotten a couple customer referrals from those samples.

Anyhow, fast forward a couple years, and I saw her again at a show and now she is more successful than ever, with a new book coming out and everything. Her modern style really matches up with the kind of quilting I want to be doing, so I told her I really wanted to do some more quilts for her. So she sent me 2 quilts that are going to be at shows and trunk shows as pattern samples.

I wanted to show off my super dense fancy artistic quilting, so am working on this quilt and by the time I am done with it, it will have taken me about 12 hours. This is a long time, for me at least. I know I will be getting "marketing value" out of this quilt being on display, but at the same time I just don't know what to charge her.

Give it to her for free as a token of hopes it will get me working towards my goal of doing more of this kind of quilting I want to be doing? Give her a discount? If I was doing this for any other customer, I would want to charge at least $350.

I still have one more quilt to do, and then she is sending another one in the mail that is going to be in her book. Would you give a different discount for a quilt that would be in a book (as opposed to a trunk show or quilt show sample)? I want to get my quilting out there, but at the same time I don't want to set a precedence of not making any money on such a huge amount of work.

This pattern designer is super sweet and friendly and I am sure she would pay whatever I ask, but I don't want to be unreasonable and I really want to make her happy!

I am perplexed, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thank you so much!

Hi there, I need your opinions on this one please--I am just full of questions this week--thank you so much this forum is GREAT!!!

OK, so I met up with an old customer with mine from several years ago who is a well-known pattern designer, and when I did some samples of hers years ago when I was brand new, I didn't even think to offer a discount. The quilts I did travel with her to the shows and trunk shows she does as samples. I have gotten a couple customer referrals from those samples.

Anyhow, fast forward a couple years, and I saw her again at a show and now she is more successful than ever, with a new book coming out and everything. Her modern style really matches up with the kind of quilting I want to be doing, so I told her I really wanted to do some more quilts for her. So she sent me 2 quilts that are going to be at shows and trunk shows as pattern samples.

I wanted to show off my super dense fancy artistic quilting, so am working on this quilt and by the time I am done with it, it will have taken me about 12 hours. This is a long time, for me at least. I know I will be getting "marketing value" out of this quilt being on display, but at the same time I just don't know what to charge her.

Give it to her for free as a token of hopes it will get me working towards my goal of doing more of this kind of quilting I want to be doing? Give her a discount? If I was doing this for any other customer, I would want to charge at least $350.

I still have one more quilt to do, and then she is sending another one in the mail that is going to be in her book. Would you give a different discount for a quilt that would be in a book (as opposed to a trunk show or quilt show sample)? I want to get my quilting out there, but at the same time I don't want to set a precedence of not making any money on such a huge amount of work.

This pattern designer is super sweet and friendly and I am sure she would pay whatever I ask, but I don't want to be unreasonable and I really want to make her happy!

I am perplexed, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thank you so much!

What a great opportunity to get your work out in the public eye!

Let's look at it from her side--your fabulous and specific quilting will enhance her patterns and help sell both patterns and books. So she needs you as well as you needing her. I will join the chorus of advice to charge her whatever you are comfortable with. This could be the start of a long-term collaboration! Definitely give her a well-thought-out and written on paper discount so she can see what you are worth and what a deal she is getting. Win/win!

(Remember--customers love to have a top quilted "just like in the photo"! What a great compliment to your work!):D

What a great opportunity to get your work out in the public eye!

Let's look at it from her side--your fabulous and specific quilting will enhance her patterns and help sell both patterns and books. So she needs you as well as you needing her. I will join the chorus of advice to charge her whatever you are comfortable with. This could be the start of a long-term collaboration! Definitely give her a well-thought-out and written on paper discount so she can see what you are worth and what a deal she is getting. Win/win!

(Remember--customers love to have a top quilted "just like in the photo"! What a great compliment to your work!):D

I agree with Linda. Give her a discount, you can call it advertising and take it as a business expense, as you are 'trying' to get customers from this. Write out an invoice with a well defined discount, so she knows not to brag to her friends how 'cheap' you are, as this is a discount just for her because of the exposure she will be providing you.

I agree with Linda. Give her a discount, you can call it advertising and take it as a business expense, as you are 'trying' to get customers from this. Write out an invoice with a well defined discount, so she knows not to brag to her friends how 'cheap' you are, as this is a discount just for her because of the exposure she will be providing you.

My very first customer quilt was done for a pattern designer. I have a couple to do for her in queue right now, as well. I give her a discount on the quilting as I look at it as advertising on for me. I also give her a faster turn around that my regular clients, but then I know in advance when she will be giving me the top and when she needs to get it back so that it can go to the photographer. She lets me do whatever I want on her quilts, so it is fun for me as well. And she is great about telling people that I quilt for her.

My very first customer quilt was done for a pattern designer. I have a couple to do for her in queue right now, as well. I give her a discount on the quilting as I look at it as advertising on for me. I also give her a faster turn around that my regular clients, but then I know in advance when she will be giving me the top and when she needs to get it back so that it can go to the photographer. She lets me do whatever I want on her quilts, so it is fun for me as well. And she is great about telling people that I quilt for her.

• 1 month later...

Hi! I imagine that you have already taken care of this problem, but here is my two cents worth. I sew quilts for a large fabric company. Until recently I always sent the quilts to a quilter for the quilting. My quilter charged a bit more than for her regular customers, I think, and always charged a rush fee of $25, plus thread and batting fees.

I am now doing my second quilt for the fabric company since getting my long arm. I will not charge the rush fee, but then I am not taking in work from other people yet.

Some things to consider....when something goes in a magazine, often the quilt maker and the person who actually quilts the quilt get their name in the magazine. That is a good thing. However, at my large guild, we usually have recognizable name speakers...and I have never heard one of them mention the name of the people who actually do the quilting...or in some cases the piecing of the quilt. So, it's possible that the designer may not be mentioning your name during her trunk shows. Also, I would want to know if your name will be published in her book along with "quilted by" so you do get that recognition.

Since you are in business as a quilter, you should charge your normal rates to the designer, and perhaps as suggested, a "one time thank you for your business" discount. But make sure that the designer understands it's a one time deal.

Archived