Cutting selvages off of quilt pieces

Suzanka

I am making a new quilt and noticed the video suggests to be sure to cut off the selvages. I know in a lot of fabrics the selvage obviously should be cut off because it is white (off color compared to the fabric),and/or there is writing on it and that showing would not look good! Today however I am using batiks and the selvages just blend in so nicely. I don't see a color problem. I can't help but wonder.....is it necessary to remove the selvages when working with batiks? In general are selvages removed because they are stiffer and that will do something wonky to the finished quilt?

It has been my experience that you're correct toward the end of your comment above.  Even if the dye or weave goes to the end of the selvage (like with Batiks, or often one side of a bolt opposite the white labeled selvage side) the weave tightens at the selvage to finish the fabric edges and will shrink/launder/pucker slightly differently than the rest of the surface where the weave is more uniform and intended in the manufacture process.  Cut them off!  You don't lose much yardage, but you gain a lot of security if you're going to the trouble of making a quilt, that even in the seams where the selvage might be buried, there won't be a resulting pull or pucker or wonky seam where the shrinkage is different.  ;)

I agree. Cut off the selvages. Putting you time into the quilt, you want the best it can be. I also learned a valuable lesson about quality fabric. I inherited a lot of fabric, most of lesser quality from discount sores. I made a small wall hanging as my first piecing project. This stash had the colors in it wanted. Bad idea. It raveled and warped. Then when I started to quilt it on my DSM. Worse idea. I knew a group of ladies that made strits and made rugs for homeless people. I decided right then that they needed to own that stash. I was happy it went to a good use. Well that's my soap box for the night, CUT OFF THE SELVAGE AND DON'T USE POOR QUALITY FABRIC!

I agree cut off the salvages. However 2 years ago I finally quilted my 1st big quilt I ever made when I got my Millie. I noticed some selvage edges it. After sitting in storage for 12 years I didn't have the heart to take it apart now that I know better. I wanted to quilt it mistakes and all. It's still on my bed with no problems. With time who knows what's going to happen. I will accept with pride because that quilt was my first and made me love quilting. I got lucky and I count my blessings. But I don't take those chances with any other quilt.

Most fabrics are made by weaving to one side, wrapping and then going back to the other side.  This means the selvage edge is tighter then the rest of the fabric.  Sometimes it isn't that noticeable and other times it is just amazing how much tighter it is.  If you cut the selvage it will let the rest of the fabric stretch to it's proper size.  Always take off the very edge.  If you don't notice a huge difference then don't cut off as much.  You can usually see the tighter edge by laying it on a very flat surface.

I too always cut the selvages off.  I show anyone new or anyone who askes why I cut them off, by holding up to the light and showing them the tighter weave, then there are often, I find in batiks that there are holes where the fabric was tacked on to probably apply the paints.  They are between 3/4 and 7/8 " from the very edge.

They too will make the fabric warp into ghoulish shapes.

Your $$, your time, your effort.  Make it as pretty as you can.

:)

Archived