Need suggestions***Now with picture

I received a 55 x 85 quilt with a large appliqued full length dragon. Very cute. My question is should I SID around the dragon before I meander in the background around him? Does it matter? For me to SID I will have to roll with the needle down so I can continue the SID around him. Is it better to SID the entire quilt before I even start any background fill? Also, I've started the top borders. Should I do all of the borders and then come back and do the center?? The border is a different color thread than the SID and background fill. Thanks Michelle

<a  href=2839906520104065092S425x425Q85.jpg' alt=

Have you thought about loading it sideways..so that you would have a top and a bottom to the dragon,instead of rolling chunks.

However it you are just going to meander around the dragon...I wouldn't SID first...but that is me...since we can't see the dragon, will he/she need quilting inside to keep things down correctly...will the area be to big and look funny without some quilting...

I'm with Bonnie, load the quilt 'sideways' so that you can see most of the dragon or at least one long side all at once. If you want to SID you can do it in sections as you advance but for a child's quilt you may just echo and then do a background fill of your choice. I think that adding stars and maybe some flames in the background would add some whimsy! If the dragon is large it is going to need some stitching on it so that it doesn't puff out. You could add scales or outline the facial features and wings if there are any...the possibilities are endless with these cute figures! :)

I would load it sideways as Bonnie suggested. I would fist SID the inside border then SID the dragon. I would probably just tie off and do the border then dragon then roll. Make sure you pin the sink out of the background as you go. Otherwise when you come back you might end up with puckers on the back. Once all the SID is done then come back in and fill. Very cute quilt. Are you going to do a fill on the dragon itself?

Hi Michelle,

This is such a cool quilt. I think that I would echo the dragonYou can stabilize it by basting all the way across in lines about 6-8 inches apart. But if the quilt is flat and square, you can skip the stabilize.

I would echo around the dragon as far as you can reach before rolling and use that echo to travel out to the background fill of choice. I think that flames shooting out of his mouth and McT would look fabulous. And scales on the dragon. Boy,would I have fun with this dragon.

I also don't know that I would SID a child's quilt. Maybe serpentine SID, a wavey line just to nail down the seams. And more flames in those borders. There is also a nice panto with a horizontal dragon by Lisa Thiessen called Asian Dragon.

post--13461900459327_thumb.jpg

Archived