2 carrots, peeled

1 onion, chopped

1-2 Tbsp oil or butter

3 C milk

1/2 - 1 C grated sharp cheddar cheese

1 - 2 tsp salt, to taste

1/4 tsp pepper

1 Tbsp chopped parsley

Cook the potatoes and carrots in water to cover in a large pan until soft. Saute the onion in the oil or butter. In a blender puree, in batches the potatoes, carrots and onion with potato water (you probably will not use all the water. I puree it so the potatoes are thick)

Return puree to pan and add milk, cheese, and seasonings. If the mixture is too thick add more of the potato water. Heat until cheese is melted and soup is piping hot. DO NOT BOIL soup.

Makes 8 to 10 cups

Enjoy!

Cheryl

I stopped peeling potatoes (and carrots) years ago when I learned in a nutrition class that most of the nutrients in potatoes are located next to the skin. The next time you bake a potato, cut it in half and notice the white ring near the peel. That is where most of the nutrients are located, and therefore removed by peeling. The rest of the potato is just there to hold those nutrients in place!

Ditto for the carrots. Just wash and scrub with a good brush for all.

Thanks for the recipe. I'll try it soon.

Cheryl - Thanks for this receipe. DH is not eating very much at this point, mostly soups and this really was a hit with him. He can't eat much that has any spice to it at all, so I cut back on the onion. He loved it. I froze the rest of it in a muffin tin, so I can thaw out just what he can eat. I'm going to make it again, but the next time I'll make it for me. Add some smokey cheese, lots of onion, probably won't puree it and maybe even add some bacon or clams. Thanks for posting it. And DH thanks you too.:cool:

Archived