is my frame crooked?

Jessica Gamez

I have an old style table on one of my machines and I am lining up my quilts perfectly straight at the top but on almost every one I notice that when I get to the bottom, the right side of the quilt is always a little lower. I thought I would eliminate this by floating my tops but I notice they all start getting off about halfway through the quilt. It is always a straight diagonal going down to the right.

I am running this machine with the compuquilter so when I get to the bottom, I am always having to freehand this section since the computer always runs in a perfectly straight path. I noticed this slightly before my CQ was installed but moreso now.

The only thing I can think of is that there is something wrong with my take-up bar....maybe it is bowed on one side so it is rolling tighter? I have done probably a thousand or so quilts on this frame so I would understand if there was wear on it.

I am going to try switching my quilt top roller with the take-up roller to see if I am still having the problem but I figured I would ask the experts as well.

I am measuring out all of my quilt sides before they go on the frame so I know they are square before they hit the machine so what is going wrong?

I bet you are headed in the right direction with your thought that the roller may be bowed.

Can you sight down the length and see a problem?

Until you get it remedied, try rolling a long piece of fabric up under the take-up roller on the bad side. Maybe that bit of extra bulk just on that side will snug up some of the extra and you will end up square at the end.

When you have the extra fabric at the bottom right, does this quilt the top out-of-square?

Is there a chance that the CQ as it works across is skewing the fabric as it goes?

I'm thinking out loud here!

I hope you solve your problem and let us know for future reference.

I bet you just wore that table out!!!;) You do such beautiful work and we all enjoy seeing your quilts!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jessica

On the old style table with the square frame, you can adjust the end pieces of the table frame to go in and out, maybe one side is out a little more than the other. Try measuring from the levelling bar to the backing roller on both sides of the table to see if the distance between the rollers is the same.

Or maybe your leader isn't straight.

/With CQ you can adjust the rows as you go to quilt at an angle but this is time consuming.

Good luck

sue in australia

Archived