Question on bobbins

Hi Ladies

New Lberty mom here, my adopted Libby arrived while I was on holidays on Aug 28th. She arrived in all her glory to my office, where she waited patiently until my return when on Sept.5 my DH and I took her home. We have spent some quality time getting to know each other, and I must say I am "over the moon" with happiness. (I don't want to do anything but quilt and play with her).

I have a couple of questions that may have been answered somewhere here, but I could not find. First question is do you have to "tweek" the bobbin tension everytime you change a bobbin? I haven't changed my thread weight, same quilt, same spool, but have noticed some looping and tension problems on the back of the quilt. I am using the turbo winder rec'd with my machine. Problem is not with all bobins, just a few. So far I have only used 15 bobbins (taking things nice and slow) and have had trouble with maybe 5, but not in a row. I have kept her clean etc, so can anyone shed some light on the puzzle?

Also I am having problems with my hartley extended base, my clamps keep bumping the base, and creating a problem. I have raised the clamps up by placing yard sticks under the elastic to them, but am still having problems with the base "popping" off, or jamming on the clamps. Does this mean the clamps are too thick? Am I being over cautious, (new mom ya know), I just don't want anything to happen to my "baby". I read here that what takes you 5-10 minutes to quilt takes hours to frog, I have experienced that first hand!!;) but I am loving my experience so far.

Can someone shed some light on the bobbin and base issue?

You ladies rock! thanks for making someone new feel so welcome, and able to ask questions

:)

Can't help you with the Hartley base as I don't have that one, I use the Rulermate...and its edges are shaped so what the clamps slide up and over the edges should you come close to them.

Now for the bobbins...you didn't or at least I didn't see whether you say you are using perwound bobbins or are winding your own. I have used some prewound ones and they seem to be pretty consistant with each one being wound the same way. However if you are winding your own, each bobbin may have enough difference in them that checking each one is a good thing to get into the habit with.

I also use a Turbo Winder, and there are times that they just don't wind each the same tightness...so I do a simple drop test with each one...and if I need to "tweek" it then I do...just something I got into the habit doing as a cloths sewer, and carried it to quilting as well.

These machines are pretty sturdy so don't be afraid to mess with the tensions and such...each thread may require some fiddling with and each bobbin may require some attention as well...so don't be afraid to play with it. Should you really knock it out of shape someone here will help you line things back up so don't panic there either....;):P

Relax and enjoy your new baby...keep the tummy fed with oil, and a through bathing sometimes may even be required before you finish a quilt...always clean between quilts, but depending on how linty your threads are you may have to quilt for a bit and do the bathing and finish then quilt.

I have a towa gauge and ck my tension with each bobbin change. I am under the theory that it is better to be safe than sorry and it only takes a few seconds. Since I wind my own bobbins, it is not unusual to have to tweek the bobbin case just a bit.

As to the second issue, I finally made side leaders based on Sharon Shambler's. I use them when ever the clamps interference might occur. They only took a little while to make and I love them!! If you go to my web shots (under my signature), there are a couple of pictures of these side leaders as well as an extra little quilt sandwich that I advance with the side leaders. I use this to check tension when there is not enough room on the side of the quilt to do so.

I do check my tension for each bobbin. I'll sometimes take the bobbin out of the machine and wind thread onto that same bobbin from the same spool as before and find a little tweaking is necessary. I don't have the Towa gauge but use the drop test and it seems to work fine.

As far as the clamps bumping into the base, DH made me a little tray for each side of the machine. By putting the elastic over the tray, it lifts the clamps up enough that they aren't running into the machine and it gives me room to store all my essentials.

post--13461900506414_thumb.jpg

:D

Thanks Ladies

I knew some one would have great ideas!! Being new, I am not sure what you are referring to when you mention "Drop Test". Are you putting the bobbin into the boobin case,and after threading properly, dropping the case while holding the thread?

Meg - awesome idea for leaders, I think I will try and make a set.

Judy - love the tray idea. I have printed off, hopefully my DH can make me a set.

Thanks for the info. :cool: What a wonderful group of ladies!

VickiN

Originally posted by Northern Girl

:D

Thanks Ladies

I knew some one would have great ideas!! Being new, I am not sure what you are referring to when you mention "Drop Test". Are you putting the bobbin into the boobin case,and after threading properly, dropping the case while holding the thread?

VickiN

Yes....you tighten or loosen the set screw on the side of the bobbin case to determine the rate of fall from the whole unit when you hold the thread in one hand and hold the other under the bobbin case....I use mine fairly tight, I only want my bobbin to move just a inch or so when jiggled...some want it to fall a bit further, and some want it to even free fall....it all depends on what your machine requires and the threads that you are using. With a bit of playing around, and experimenting, you can find the sweet spot on your machine. AND then there are those who don't want to play with it at all and get a TOWA GAUGE....its whatever works for you best.

TOWA gauge. It's worth every penny of the $69.00 it costs. I check every single bobbin before I put it in the case. The newer TOWAs use 100-200 etc but mine uses 10-20-30 etc

So I normally use:

18-20 on poly thread

20-22 on PermaCore

20 - 24 on cotton

Loosen or tighten with (lefty-loosy - righty-tighty) the larger of the 2 screws on the bobbin case. Make tiny adjusts on the bobbin case and test after adjusting. Tension on top is usually made with big turns, but the bobbin tension is more finite or limited.

Good luck with your new machine.

JudyL - why don't you try to flim-flam Vince into making a pattern for that roller-2-roller storage. :D What a winner that would be. I would buy the pattern. I've tried the curtain-rod and plastic thing and well, it just didn't hold up.

Archived