how to wind a bobbin and top thread breaking

I've been practicing on baby quilt tops. I initially used the prewound bobbin that came with the machine with a cone of Signature thread and had great luck. After one quilt I tried winding my own bobbin on the sidwinder that came with the Lenni. After several attempts, I thought I'd finally gotten a bobbin that was evenly wound. I started off with that bobbin and same top thread. After about 12" the top thread started breaking. My stitches look great, but the top thread snapped every 12", then 6", then every inch. I went back to the prewound bobbin and that seemed to solve my problem. I quilted a few more baby tops on Sunday (still with the prewound bobbin) and by the end of the day I was back to the top thread snapping. I kept cleaning the bobbin and hook area as I wondered if I had bits of broken thread clogging things up. I got out the DVD and rethreaded the top thread, cleaned the bobbin case and put the prewound bobbin back in. Immediately after the cleaning things work well - for about half a baby quilt top, then I'm back to snapping the top thread.

Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong? The thread tension seems okay as my stitching looks great. Also, how do I wind my own bobbins? I"m getting a little tired of green bobbin thread! My DSM Viking won't fit the Lenni bobbins and the sidewinder seems to need a major redesign! Am I stuck with buying the turbowinder?:(

My views on the bobbin winder that comes with Lenni are well documented. I too have Viking sewing machines so I was in the same boat. I spent $89, went to the Gammill site and ordered their stand alone winder. I am as happy as a clam now.

If your bobbin is 'soft' when you wind it, you can't use it. I found a way to get a tight bobbin to wind by holding the thread between my fingers as it wound. This worked but I could only get a bobbin to wind two thirds of the way anyway.

I would use Superior So Fine thread and not Signature.

I found that going around two holes on the bar (not all three) above the tensions disk gives the perfect tension. Just with the Lenni machines.

I would use prewounds and make sure you have the slow crawl drop of the bobbin, then adjust your top tension according to your sewout.

Hi Marikids

I think your thread is the problem. To check this, change your top thread to another brand - I like Superior So Fine for almost everything, and use the bobbin that you've wound yourself to see if it breaks.

Some people put their troublesome thread in a plastic bag and then put it in the freezer for a while, or spritz it with water, I can't be bothered with any of that so stick to Superior threads which give consistent tension, and give off virtually no fluff, so less cleaning of the bobbin case and hook assembly.

Hope the change of thread works for you.

sue in australia

Archived