WHY AM I GETTING WHITE POKEYS

This is the second time that I have gotten the white pokeys on the back of a quilt. One was dark brown and this one is a medium rust batik. I am using 100% cotton batting. It says will not beard, no glues or resins and I did prewash as instructed. Is it because the needle hole is big and the thread is fine? They are not big pokeys just little ones that look like lint spots but are not. I am using the SR so it shouldnt be the needle flexing I don't think anyway. My tension also looks good. Any ideas? Jeanne

Jeanne

Our needles tend to leave big holes in batiks and other high thread count fabrics and when you have a dark backing it is even more accentuated. Dawn Cavanaugh provided some good advice to me recently on this subect. You might like to search back.

From recollection, you can go down a needle size for these hard fabrics. (I had gone down quite a way, but after reading Dawn's advice, decided not to risk upsetting the timing of my machine).

You could also use a dark wadding.

Judy

Jeanne,

As Judy says, with batiks it's sometimes useful to go down a size on the needle (from 4.0 to 3.5), or use a dark batting. Since you've already started your quilt, the dark batting's probably not gonna happen!:P Try using a smaller needle, but remember that it will flex a little more, so you'll have to go a little slower.

Another remedy is to go ahead and quilt it, knowing that the pokeys will likely draw back in on the first washing. If they still bother you, get a permanent fabric marker to match your backing, and just color those pokeys to match!;)

I use the 4.0 on Batiks all the time and never had this happen with it. I have heard a smaller needle maybe but haven't tried that myself.

Having your batting upside down can cause this too. Depends on the type of batting maybe.

Also just crappy backing fabric which is doesn't sound like you have.

It will go away when washed. That has been my experience so far.

Let us know what you decide andhow it turns out.

Good luck

Grammie Tammie

I think I will hope that the washing will take care of this seeing as though I am not going to be able to stop and change a batting. It is alot more than what can be touched up with a permanent marker. But as I said they are very small, almost looks like lint so hopefully they will draw back in when washed. I wonder if maybe I should try loosening the backing fabric, maybe it is a tad too tight. Might try that to see if it makes any difference. Will let you know what happens with it. Jeanne

Jeanne,

I have had this happen when using Hobbs battings only. I've never had it happen with QD. What is happening is the thread is grabbing hold of the batting and pulling it through to the back. This happens more when it is a thin batting. You might consider using a double layer. The other thing that can make it worse is the thread. Try a different thread to see if that helps. You also might want to try some of the silicone on your thread which tends to smooth the fibers a little. Good luck.

Jeanne,

Oh how frustrating. I've never had that happen with QD and hope it never does! It drives me crazy when it happens to me. The last quilt I did was a customer's quilt who is just starting a fabric dying business and she wanted me to quilt her backdrop for her booth...no pressure of course! Lots of people got to see her quilt and many asked about my card for quilting but boy I was not happy about the pokies! It was her battting and it was 100% cotton. I used Rainbow thread. I called her to let her know that it was happening and she wanted me to continue so I did. I don't know if she ever washed it and if that took care of the problem. If you still can see the pokies after you might want to consider using a permanent marker and coloring the pokies so they don't show.

Archived