Dark Fabric Help!!!!!!

The Last Stitch

I usually just lurk. Actually I eat lunch with you all everyday-for several years now. I am a teacher and would rather gossip with you all (or read your gossip) than gossip in the teachers lounge. I really love this form and have learned so much from you all.

Well, I have a big problem!!!!!!! I started a quilt tonight High end custom. The fabric is a navy/black print. I started outlining the applique. Every few stitches I get a slight pull on a thread that causes a light colored pull to show on the front. I put in a new needle before I began. I am using permacore on the front and bottom line in the bobbin. I have had this happen with dark fabric before but not on a customer quilt that was paying this much. The worst part is my next quilt is by a friend of this lady and is almost identical (same fabric-blocks-different borders).

It is a beautiful quilt and I am not sure if I should call the customer and her friend that is next and have them come take a look before I continue. My biggest quandry is that if this was my wife's quilt I would be furious if it came back with these little light pulls. What do I do????

Help!!!

Thanks

Don Sutcliffe

Hi Don,

First of all, the pulls you describe are caused because of the dyeing process. Some dark fabrics have the color stamped on top. (Thimbleberries fabric is especially bad) When you turn the fabric over it will look streaked with white. When stitched on, the needle displaces the thread and nudges it so the weave pulls a bit and that white where the dye did not penetrate the fabric is visible as a line of dots. Explain this to your customer. It is not visible a foot away--but it really jumps out when your nose is on the loaded quilt. Remember, a Pigma pen may be your best friend in this situation. Dot the closest color you can find on the offending white and there ya go!

This happens on a DSM as well---not just with a longarm.

See you at lunch tomorrow!!

Don, I would do as Linda suggested, and have done this in the past, sometimes with small areas of pokies. I have a collection of fine point, permanent markers for touch ups. Some times just a tiny dab of a matching color is all it takes to make the error go away.

Dianne

I don't like using Pigma Pen because it isn't invisible. I tried it once on one of my own quilts and I could see every "patch" that I tried it on. Of course, it's like Linda says, only WE can see it because we have our face in the quilt.

It's not a fault of cheap fabric. I've had some spendy fabric do the same thing. I also agree with Linda that after the quilt is done, washed, and hanging on the wall, or lying on a bed, it is not noticeable. I'm looking at a piece of Hoffman California International fabric right now that I'm using in a border. If that pulls, I'm going to scream. It is obviously dyed on top because it has that streaky look on the back.

Just explain to your customer that you use new needles for every quilt and due to the dying process this is what happens. "As you can see...." is a good phrase to learn when tackling problems like this. It obviously isn't YOUR fault; it's the fabric.

Let us know what they say. and good luck with it.

Awesome that this is working better for you, Don.

OK so I am really intrigued (and a little nosey, too) I have to ask: If you, Don live "near Kansas City" and if Linda Rech lives in Olympia, Washington, how do you meet for lunch??

..........oh! never mind... I just figured it out.... duh! :P (I'm slow sometimes)

See you at lunch tomorrow. ;)

Archived