I Need HELP!! PLEASE???

Renae

A friend of mine brought this wall hanging to me. She cross stitched it for her favorite SIL and wants me to quilt it for her.

She bought it from Herrschners and it came w/white backing and white thread for the quilting. The quilting in the magazine looked like stippling to her or chicken fencing. She

would rather have it look 3-D.......more defined which means custom and she doesn't mind spending the money for it.

I would like your suggestions if any of you have dealt with Cross-Stitching such a BIG Picture and if you haven't can you help me???

Here it is.......

If you want to add some 3-D effect, consider putting some trapunto in behind the barn area, behind the trees, and even add a few areas that look like lumps and hills in the white area where there is snow! :) You can do this with trapunto batting. Would look cool, I think.

Then you can embellish it with thread and outline the trees and barn.

Great idea to do trapunto on the trees/barn etc. You can do faux-trapunto (no need to trim the batting) by using two batts. One is thin cotton and the other is mid-loft poly. The poly goes on top and close stitching will smash it down and let the rest jump forward. I think Shana's idea of hills in the snow is perfect!

Are you going to "SID" in the cross stitching? I would. I would draw lines around the windows, along the posts, roof line, boards on front of barn, and just about everything in the picture. Maybe with a contrast thread, put limbs or branches in the bushes, stems on the long grass, wood grain in the split rails, shingles on the barn roof, etc.

You can make that piece come alive:D

Okay girls you are really throwing some new things at me that I have never tried before but am very willing to do. Sooooooo, can you give me some pictures where you have done this for me to see??? I know I can do it.....I would just like to make sure I am on the right track since this is a cross stitch top.

Renae Gamel

Ok, I'm looking at this again and wondering about how to get more of a drifting snow effect with the sparkely thread. I don't have my longarm yet, and don't qult on a DSM. What about using a water type meander and just go back and forth across it, avoiding the picture of course, I agree those need to be outlined. But would the water design give it the effect of drifting snow? What about just popping in some batting scraps and marking the locations with straight pins so when you come to them you could nail them down by stitching around the edges, and yet they'd be a little puffy and washable without migrating or balling up under the top.

I'm not suggesting she do it on this top, just wondering out loud if that would work. Anyone ever done something like this?

Archived