Do you stitch all the borders and sashing?

Do you always quilt something in every border or sashing?

Sometimes if I'm doing a light custom treatment - something fairly open and not dense, I'll just quilt the blocks and not do a separate treatment for the sashing or every border if there are multiple borders - just leave it alone, especially if it's fairly narrow. This is usually for a quilt that I'm not charging much for.

I realize that I need to have a fairly uniform density of quilting, but is there something that I'm missing and I ought to be doing.

Thanks,

Julia

I just finished a sampler quilt--56 blocks with each block surrounded by a pink fabric to make the blocks all a uniform size. The quilt is a Shop Hop Northwest sampler and carefree piecing made the extra fabric necessary. Then purple was used as sashing with yellow cornerstones. Since the pink fabric width was different in every block, I decided to leave the pink alone and only quilt the purple sashing instead of treating it all as one sashing. This drew the eye to the purple and you hardly notice that the pink is wonky. The pink pops and makes a nice "frame" around each block and this treatment makes the different widths of pink look "on purpose".

Many times I will leave a narrow border unquilted. It leaves a place for the eye to rest and also separates the main body and the bigger border. I am getting used to more negative (unquilted) areas on quilts when they are used to frame or separate various more ornate areas. Just a thought.

Say you have three or more borders...and each one gets bigger as it goes out...if the first border is only a 1 or 2 I may leave it for the same reason Linda mentioned and the other borders whether there is 2 or 3 I most often cross hatch across them all and carry it into the corners as well.

Hi Mary Beth--do you remember everything!?? I am so in trouble!!!

There are so many things I don't do unless I have to----and some of them pertain to quilting!:P:P:P

I will SID when necessary and when the customer is paying for custom. I use Sew Fine, BL or Monopoly with good results. I hate it!! Oopps, did I say that out loud? Like I said, I can do it --it's just soooo boring when I could be quilting feathers, ferns, flowers, etc.

I did several City Girl quilts with that flange separating the border from the body, and there is no way you can get it to lay right unless you SID the flange seam. I didn't charge extra and I didn't point it out to the customer. Also, any other 3-D in the top (prairie points, etc.) will need SID for sure.

Never been offered a show top to quilt, nor is there one of my own in the future, so I guess my secret is safe will all three thousand of you, my BQFFs.;)

I knew it!! And I knew I could drag it out of you!!

Since you quilted Jen's/Haylee's quilt and didn't SID and I loved it, I have been trying it. I have found there are some places I just can't get away with not SID, and it feels funny :o when I am quilting, like not stable.

I had a customer ask if I would quilt a quilt for her. I told her I didn't really have time now that I am working (didn't have the heart to tell her I am not taking new customers). She said, "oh, it's really nothing difficult, I just want some SID." I said "Whoa, Nelly"....not really....I did stop her and make a slight correction. Another customer standing next to me corrected her also and she is not a machine quilter...so someone has trained her well :)

Archived