I'm so frustrated!

I'm trying to do my first customer quilt. I've been trying to do continuous curves around the blocks and I keep getting bobbles. I've ripped them out so many times that it's a wonder that the fabric hasn't fallen apart.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for letting me vent and for any help you can give.

Are you using a ruler for your CCs?

If not, and you are doing these freehand, are you keeping your speed up? It's easier to get a smoother curve if you go faster rather than go slower;;;that's where you get the bobbles...when you go too slow.

If you can do little quick hops for example, like this: One corner,,,stop. Then hop quick to the next corner and stop. Then.....hop.... stop... Then...hop.... stop... Then hop...stop.... Keep your eye on the corner (your goal), not on the needle. Get in the rhythm that way and you might have better luck.

COLEEN

If you are using rulers and still getting wobbles, are you pushing the hopping foot against the ruler and moving it? I was making that mistake at first until I read to press down on the ruler to hold it to the base then when you run the foot along the ruler it won't move it and cause a bobble. it takes a little practice to get it to stay in place also you can put a little basting spray on the back of the ruler if you are using one that is. Good luck

Coleen,

I've done cc's both with rulers and without. I prefer ruler just because I don't like bobbles either! Jeanne gives you excellent advice on how to use a ruler. You can use a circle, swag, or an arc. Renae's arcs work well for this as well! I've been where you are and it is so frustrating! I do them just as Shana suggests if I'm doing them freehand and I can handle small ones that way but not bigger ones. On the smaller ones the key is to not do a big swing, just make a gentle arc and I think they look a whole lot better! Oh chocolate always helps!

And....don't be too hard on yourself. If this is your first customer quilt you are shooting for perfection...you are a quilter not a computer. Don't worry if there are a couple of wobbles...I will guarantee your customer will not see them. We are very close to our work so we see everything...don't worry so much, just have fun. You will get better, just relax.

We had Deloa Jones with us in a longarm guild meeting last year. There was some discussion about doing CC freehand.

The key to doing them freehand without bobbles is to always look ahead to the next point and just make a very gently swing.

I tossed the rulers for CC and now do them freehand following Deloa's advice and they look just as good as a ruler. I have done them in squares about a inch up to about 3 inches with no problems. Speed is not an issue. I can go fast of slow and not get the bobbles. My preference is to go slower because I am more accurate.

Debbi

Thanks for all the great advice. I stopped for the night and watched Kim Brunner's video.She shows how to do them with a circle so I'm going to try that today. I think I wasn't putting the ruler down far enough and trying to press the hopping foot against it too hard. I'll practice freehand when I'm finished with this quilt.

MB, thanks for the reminder to ease up on myself, I needed that.

Heidi, I'm always up for chocolate, just ask my hips.

Coleen,

You do excellent work. How do I know? Because you care, you need it to be right and you ARE doing it! I know it is difficult to give yourself credit when your in the process of a good head of mad, but remember you Can do this, you ARE doing this and it will only get better.

Be gentle with yourself, get extra rest, hot tea, coffee while looking outside, a brief walk, even a short song that you dance around in the studio to will break the ick cycle.

From one who knows.

Oh Coleen, I sympathize with you as I have the exact same problem. I did wear a hole I frogged so much. thank goodness it was a small hole and for one of my grandkids and not a customer. so my solution, gave up. Now I would not recommend that at all and it was foolish and part of the old me that I am bound and determined is going to disappear this year so be proud of yourself for your perserverance. I bet they don't look half as bad as you think they do. Oh don't forget to breath

Be kind to yourself and Abigail gave you very good advice

Good news, the frustration is over. I'm using a ruler after watching Kimmie's video and it's going pretty well.

I also cut myself a little slack and had some chocolate.

Kay, I also did clean the track and sanded a rough spot (machine has plastic tracks)

I feel much better today.:):):)

Thanks everyone

Archived