Time to vent

I called around to a few of the local quilters and found out about pricing. I just called as though I were a customer and if I knew the person, I just told them I was trying to make sure I was being fair in my pricing without getting too specific. You can also go online and look at websites. Some folks give their prices there.

I really like Zeke's suggestion and have been trying to figure out how to change my pricing structure. I don't think you can just abruptly switch from one method to another without confusing your current customers. Obviously you can do that with brand new ones, but how to you go about transitioning the old ones?

To find rates I google for longarm quilting services. In the time I have been doing this, I've gone from the cheapest (about 25% less than the quilters I admired) to the most expensive (2% higher) than the same quilters. My prices are available on my site as as most UK quilters. Sorry I've never checked US quilters.

Oh and before you have a heart attack at my prices consider that costs here are pretty high. Petrol (gas) is now 3.80 GBP per gallon (about $5.7) a $15 cone of thread now works out at about 15 GBP after shipping and taxes. A while ago on a sewing list we compared what an hours pay would buy and we concluded that as far as buy power goes call a pound a dollar and you are pretty close.

I've never had a customer suggest I charge too much, a few feel I undercharge. As I am happy with what I get I figure it is probably about right. As several others have said education goes a long way. I do explain as much as I can about what I do and how my charges are worked out.

Ferret

When I wanted to change how I priced I talked to my customers. I explained what I was thinking of and what effect it would have on prices. They were pleased to have been consulted and felt it seemed fair to both parties so I did it. I also asked them how I should go about raising my prices. They don't like a once a year large hike, so mine goes up a tiny amount 4 times a year.

So far so good,

Ferret

My priciing is pretty close to what the other two close by charge.. one claims to be freehand, but her works seems almost too perfect for that.. I hope I'm wrong.. She does do beautiful work. The other has a Gammil with computer.. I never walk away from my machine.. Saw one quilt in Carlton, OR that the owner was distracted by a customer and ended up with a patch about 3 by 4" just pulvverized by a broken needle. Just recently saw a couple much smaller holes in a quilt, and the quilter was standing watching.. before the machine could be turned off, it had left some nasty work that had to be replaced. Luckily the owner had fabric to patch with and wasn't upset.

I'm just beginnning to get a slow but steady flow of customer quilts and Quilts of Valor plus the quilts I do for Community Service and myself.. Thread is what seems to kill me.. Not the amount of thread, but the bulk cost to place an order for that little box that comes.. If it bulked out to size about like half a roll of batting, I'd be jumping for joy. ROFLMHO.. I know, I'm nuts. Without the thread we'd have no fabric, business, clothes.. ohhh well, guess thread isn't bad in price either.

RitaR

Originally posted by RitaR

Thread is what seems to kill me.. Not the amount of thread, but the bulk cost to place an order for that little box that comes.. If it bulked out to size about like half a roll of batting, I'd be jumping for joy.

RitaR

LOL! I feel the same. I've only done a few customer quilts, earning not even enough to pay for my first crazed thread-buying spree, most of which I now realize I'll probably never use! I need a few more customer quilts so I can place another thread order, a sensible one this time!

Cathey - But all of those choices!!! Such pretty colors too!!! I need to place a thread order right now, so I know what you all mean..... such a little box.... but I like to open it up right away and hold those full big cones of color - wow!! :cool::cool:

I still have some new ones I have not even tried yet, but am low on my old stand-bys that work with everything!

I will try and do a bit of research on pricing. I keep being told that I should raise my prices. I do lots of SID and ruler work, and don't take short cuts. I enjoy what I do, which makes a big difference, I am still having fun!!:D

I was just re-reading this thread and another thought struck me. If you do give a discount it's worth making it really clear what the full price should have been and why you chose to give a discount. It was pointed out to me that if you don't the customer won't know that they got a good deal, or what about them and the quilt is being rewarded. There is also the chance that they will tell others the full price and what things might get other customers a discount.

For example, I gave a regular customer a large discount for bringing me two identical quilts that were very well prepared with a backing and wadding big enough to quilt both without re-mounting. It was an easier job for me to do and I didn't charge her two loading fees. I felt I had got a very good deal from her, and she felt I had undercharged her. She has gone on to advise others that a well prepared quilt with the right size wadding and backing will be well received. I love getting people she recommends, that discount has paid off many times over, and yes some of those she has sent my way have had discounts for well prepared work too. You could argue that they don't exactly get a discount, they just don't have to pay the unforseen trouble part of charge :)

Ferret

Ferret

Archived