small rip on backing

happymountainmom

Ok.....I had a power surge this afternoon and did not realize that my computer was not plugged into the surge plug on the surge protector and the needle stopped and the machine kept on moving. At least I was right there so it only made a small rip in the backing which I was able to stabilize with some extra fabric along with using steam a seam to adhere the two fabrics together. My dilemma is should I discount the price to the customer or not charge her at all, I feel so bad about this occurring and do not know if I should not charge her? I will explain to the customer what happened. Please advise……and thanks.

Pat Horning

Hi Pat,

That's a judgement call on your behalf. Did the front rip too? Is this a show quilt for the customer? Are you really willing to work for nothing, even if a small accident happened? Do you have a disclaimer on your work orders stating that longarm machines are mechanical devices and problems such as broken needles, rips, etc can occur? Is the fix noticeable or will it come apart when laundered? How large was the small rip?

It is a terrible feeling when the needle rips the fabric, even worse when the needle breaks and you rip the front, batt and backing...after the first time the feeling is not so bad. My best advice would be to have an emergency plan in place before you quilt for others covering issues such as this so you can let your customers know of some of the issues you may encounter. Alot of this pre-educating can happen with a disclaimer on your work order that the customer signs.

Now, about your charging dilemma...personally I *hate* working for free...working for free makes me feel totally "used" regardless of what the situation is. Instead of doing the work for free how about offering some sort of discount for the next quilt job? Or a coupon for batting at half price if you sell batting in your buisiness? Or how about an offer to stitch on binding of an agreed upon sized quilt? Or how about doing her next quilt custom or semi custom and charging her only for a basic job? There are many ways to give her a break while still maintaining your business and making money. Definitely explain to the customer this has happened and then put your emergency plan into place. Maybe it will not be a big deal to your customer that the quilt had a small rip on the back so should you then still work for half price or free?

Oh and by the way, having an emergency plan in place before taking in customer quilts was not my idea...I read it off this forum some time ago and I think Dawn Cavanaugh had posted it. I thought it was great advice so I made a plan up right away.

Thanks for the response and great advise Nadia, I will put that information on my brochure that my customers fill out. The rip was only the backing and it was about a 1/8 of an inch up and down. I put a piece of steam-a-steam on the inside of the backing along with a piece of the fabric to hold it in place. I will explain what happened when I deliver it and only charge her for meandering since I feel that is fair. I'm grateful that this is the first time something like this has occurred and I have been quilting for customers for 3 years. Has this happened to other quilters and doesn't it just make you sick:P

You're not the first and you won't be the last this happens to!! There was a thread here on the chat - I think a year or so ago - and the tear was horrible to see, at least for those of us who longarm. I'll try to find the thread - it will make you feel soooo much better about your 1/8" tear in the backing......;)

Here's the thread I mentioned above:

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=7473&page=1#pid61716

Hey, that was me!!! :D :D :D

Funny thing.... last summer I took a class with Karen McTavish and we were talking about problems that arise. I mentioned my little problem - the one Barb just mentioned - and Karen said, "OMG!!! That was you?!?!?" :o:o

I felt so special..... ;)

My customer was wonderful and I'm sure you customer will be very understanding. Have a solution ready for her before you make the call.....

I'm hoping that my customer will also be understanding....should I call the customer even if I repaired the problem and finished the quilt or should I wait until I see her in person and explain, my game plan is to explain it to her and show her the spot and tell her that she is only being charged for meandering rather then custom, gosh I feel bad charging her at all since I made a boo boo on her quilt!:P

No....call her and explain what happened and what you did to fix it and ASSURE her that it looks fine. If you feel you should discount the quilt a bit and I mean only a bit that's your choice, but really an 1/8 of an inch isn't really even a tear...that just a large needle hole, or at least in my opinion.;) I'm sure that your repair will be a lifetime repair and it won't show....

But yes, by all means let her know it there BEFORE you even see her....that way she can be over her mad by the time she gets there if there is a mad and once she sees it she will also agree its NOTHING.

I have a different point of view on this. I think first impressions are everything, and if the customer knows there's a rip in the quilt before she even sees the beautiful job you did, it will overshadow the first time she sees it completed. She has put a lot of time and effort into the making of the quilt, and as the quilter, I don't think I have the right to spoil that for her.

Let her see the quilt, ooh and aah over it, and then say "I'm so glad you like it, because I did have one small hiccup. Sometimes things happen with machines that are beyond our control, and unfortunately that time was this time and on this quilt. There is an 1/8" boo-boo on the backing of the quilt, and if you can find it, you get a prize. Actually, even if you can't find it you get a prize."

I would say this with a wink and a prayer and a huge sense of humour. I KNOW it's not funny, BUT she's already fallen in love with the work you did on the quilt. Do you really think she's going to be able to find that 1/8". Not unless it's a sold backing or you did a poor job on the repair.

Once she tries to find it, and can't, tell her you're giving her a $20 credit on her next quilt. If I was the customer, I'd be very happy with the quilter's honesty and the $20.

You may offer something else, but I would NOT under price the quilting. Instead I would add some other value; perhaps free batting on her next quilt.

As a newbie, and before I had the good sense to baste down the side of the quilt before quilting it, I managed to sew the foot to the edge of the quilt. Remember, there were no classes, or videos, or DVDs or other great tools back in '97 and we did mostly pantos. We had to learn from the "School of Hard Knocks". By the time I got the fabric and thread cut away from the foot the quilt had a hole in it, just under 1/4" in from the edge .

After panicking and crying and wondering what to do, I finished the quilt. Then I picked up the phone and told the customer it was her lucky day. "You have won free binding on your quilt this month. If you'd like to drop off the fabric, I'll be happy to put the binding on for you."

The binding was made so it was 3/8" wide. Did I tell the customer? NO. She was thrilled to death to get the free binding, and telling her would have taken away some of the pride and joy she felt in the quilt. AND I learned a huge lesson. It's the only free binding I ever gave away! ;)

• 1 month later...

I agree with Darlene. I had a broken needle rip thru front and it made a small tear right in the middle of the border. I fixed it as best as I could, but I was sick about it.

I did just what Darlene described. When customer came to pick up quilt she didn't even notice it. I explained .... apoligized and offered a credit/$25discount. She didn't even take the discount.

Archived