Motorized Feed, clamp not tight enough

I wonder if any of you who have the motorized feed have encountered the same problem I am having today. When I have the quilt all rolled up on the front roller, (I'm working from the front of the machine) and I am going back towards the top of the quilt, I find the clamp which holds the front rollers in place is not gripping tight enough, and the quilt slips back, making it quite sloppy. When I had the hand wheel to turn, the tension on the quilt stayed just where you wanted it as it had to stay in the side ratchet thingy.

Does anyone have an idea how this can be rectified? :(

Phyllis.

Hi Phyllis,

Underneath the tension bar there is a screw? (don't know what else to call it). Just tighten that to where you like the tension to be. I have mine snug enough that the rollers stay put. It also means that I have to help the rollers along when I advance the quilt, because I have it so snug. But this is my preference. I love the fact that we can customize the feel of the machine (including the wheels) to our own liking.

Hope that helps. If not, maybe you can give me a phone call and I can explain it better.

Darlene

• 2 years later...

I might be the only one who does this, but I flip my lever the opposite way of tightening and release the tension when I am advancing the fabric, and smooth and retighten after I have advanced the fabric. I also release when I am not working on the quilt and let the quilt drap down so there is no tension, so the fabric does not strecth.

A few weeks ago when I was using the motor feed to advance and retreat several times across the quilt because my panto was just a little too large, I noticed that the velcro attached to the clamp was moving...actually coming loose! Anyone else have this problem? I took the clamp assembly off the machine and sure enough the glue is stuck to the rail, and the velcro stuff is all bunched up! I am certain this happened when I was moving the quilt forward and backward to do that too big panto. I guess I will clean it off..but any ideas on what kind of glue to use to get it re attached??

Cheryl

• 4 years later...

My advanced feed actually came apart. It had to be reattached and realigned with an allen wrench that we had to use a fulcrum on to loosen and then tighten after we got it back together. We do not use this machine a lot and think this should not have happened.

Hi Marian,

I have trouble with my advanced feed, too. The coupling comes apart, or actually it has just come very loose and then I can't advance the fabric, and the fabric on the take up roller kind of flops loose. I asked about this when it first happened and the suggestions were to push the coupling back together and tighten the little tiny screws that hold it together.

I went to a quilt show about that time and went to the APQS booth to discuss this with them. A very nice man named Dave showed me how to tighten up that area by turning a large knob thingy under the motorized feed and also to follow up with the tiny screws if they were also loose. I was so surprised that I never saw the knob he was referring to, but as soon as I got home that night I went down to my sewing room to follow his instructions. Well, lo and behold...I do not have one of those knobs, nor do I have a hole where one ever was. So far, I have just had to put up with tightening those tiny screws several times on each quilt. (: That is my main complaint about my Liberty.

I replaced my velcro, since over time it had done as Cheryl's had - bunched up, slipped out of the clamps and made a mess of the roller. First I took the clamp assembly apart and removed all the old velcro - took some "Goo gone" to it and the gunk finally came off. Then I took new, industrial-grade velcro (got it at the local Ben Franklin) and attached it with "Gorilla Glue." Just to be safe, I also used a heavy-duty stapler to attach both ends of the velcro pieces to the wood of the clamp assembly - don't mess with me, either!

As for the rollers, they were pretty messy, but the "Goo Gone" worked wonders there too. It turned out the the original owner of my Millie had not removed the tape on one of the rollers - it was shredded and messy - yuck! I really didn't think it was ever going to come off, until my DH suggested warming the whole mess with a hair dryer - came clean right away!

Before I cleaned everything up, I was readjusting my clamp almost continuously - it wouldn't stay consistent at all. But once I got it all clean and working like it's supposed to, I haven't had to adjust it even once since October. Holds my quilt sandwich just like I like it - not too tight, and loose enough to advance the quilt as necessary.

I do loosen the tension on the quilt sandwich if I'm going to leave it for any time at all - keeps the canvases from getting stretched out.

Archived