Yucky batting!!

I've added another brand and category of battings to my not acceptable list. Morning Glory. It's sold by Wal*Mart. The low loft falls apart and the high loft is simply awful. I've had to use A & E poly-core as it's the only thread I found that it didn't shred--heirloom quilting and would have used a 50 wt cotton and bottom line for all the detail work. The creases from being packaged are still there so it's a lumpy quilt and when quilting over where they have "glued" it together my Millie makes these awful noises. It dulls needles, I'm on #11 and haven't finished it yet, I'm betting on 13 or 14. I've NEVER had this happen even using 20 oz batting and decorator fabric top and bottom (I do a comforter now and then for a decorator seamstress).

So far all my not acceptable have been the Wal*Mart bargin brands except for the old Mountain Mist cotton, the new one is fine. MMMMMM thinking of banning any WM bargin brands that may crop up in the future.

Sounds like a really bad experience. Today I was having trouble with tension and I believe it may be the batting. I left it loaded on my machine to try again tomorrow. No matter how I adjusted the top was on bottom or the bottom was on top. I finally gave up and walked away from it. I was using a low loft poly. I think it was something called polyfill purchased at hancocks. I was just testing it out as I have been trying different types just incase a customer brings it to me. So far it is the only reason I can find that I can't get good tension. I'm not a poly fan but this low loft stuff is like you said yukky.

HI Grammie, I usually give a batting a try. I had 2 quilts come in with the customer's batting being this Morning Glory. I wouldn't use the last one WM carried, I think it was Crafter's Choice as it fell apart as I was getting it out of the package!! They changed their bargin brand recently--I stop in and check when I'm in the store just to see what they hapen to have. I haven't had much of a problem with ones from Hancocks but it's been awhile.

Most of my regulars go with my bleached Hobbs 80/20 or if they like poly the Hobb's Poly Down, or my Quilter's Dream cotton. I have a few though who like to do the bargin thing and I'm still working on them to go with good batting. I price my 80/20 so I'm not really making any money (my cost including shipping plus $1.00/yard) but I have a batting that I like to work with to encourage the bargin hunters.

I'm sorry to hear about the walmart batting but I should have expected it. I just got my machine a used Ult I from APQS and in preparation for my PPP I bought a cheap batt at WM to use with some of my old fabrics I bought years ago and am never going to get around to using. I thought this would be an inexpensive way to get in lots of PPP but I can see now I may just give myself some needless headaches...tension problems, thread shredding, needle breakage..as a newbie I think I should maximize my chances for positive experiences so I don't start off hating my machine, like that could ever happen!!;)

I'm going to rethink my plan, thanks for the heads up.

Brenda in sunny CA

APQS Ult I

Brenda, When I bought my machine I bought a 60 yard roll of 45" 6 oz poly batting for about $30.00 from the Fabriquilt warehouse here in Kansas City. I wasn't worried too much about quality of stitches or tension but more about control of the machine. Actually the batting isn't too awfully bad and I have used it for some smaller charity quilts and finally gave what was left to another la quilter for practice--I needed the space and now I use my batting scraps for practice. Maybe you can find a batting source locally where you can pick up a roll pretty cheaply. Check your yellow pages for wholesale fabrics, battings, etc. you will probably have to have a tax id number to purchase. The WM batting is just a major headache and it's not fun when the needles are dulling and the thread is shredding.

I always have a roll of Hobbs polydown plus on hand. I sell it at my cost plus shipping. The quilt shops don't carry it so I don't feel I'm cutting in to their profits. This way I can provid a decent quality batting for those who shop by price. When I first started, I had a large group of women who purchased the bargain WM brands and I found myself struggling a lot. I knew they wouldn't purchase the higher priced batting from the local shops, so I found an alternative that worked for all of us. I still sell a lot of the Hobbs polydown.

Kay

Unfortunately the area I live in is a fabric and sewing supply desert, none to be had other than Walmart for 30 miles good stores, 60 miles. I've got a litter of 7 puppies and I can"t leave home for very long, and any trip to the fabric store some how becomes, long!;) I placed an order with Kingsmen for some batting and threads so in a few days I'll be able to play.

Thanks,

Brenda

Ult I, I think she says her name is Maggiebut I think I'll wait to name her till we shake hands;)

I also have not had good luck with WM batting. But I will have to tell the story of finding a great buy at Joanns. In the batting section there is Warm and Natural in a brown paper bag. Found some already precut for queen size quilts for only $9.99 each. Thought that was great since the yardage cut was 9.99 per yard.

I was just reading all the problem with Yucky Batting,,,I have used polyster batting for all my quilts I have done,,, never had a problem with it,,,

I order my batting from Nustyle....they have the good grade of batting,,, comes on a big roll 3.3 oz... the best out there... if you all need their phone No.. e-mail me and I will send it too you all...

On this roll you get enough batting to quilt 12 big quilts...or more....

I have 2 APQS machine... they are little work horses..

I never traded my older machine in... I kept it...;);)

It's definately the quality of poly batting that matters!! I have quite a few customers who prefer the poly look over cotton and always have a roll of Hobbs Poly Down -- lovely to work with. I'm loading one on right now with it. The next one is a comforter with decorator fabric top and bottom with 16 oz batting that I think I ordered from Airtex, never had a problem with that one either. I do some work for a decorator seamstress and I get many referrals from our local Hancocks so now and then I do really puffy quilting.

Wal*Mart also carries Fairfield and that one I've never had a problem with, just their super bargain brands. jeri

Just as I feared...... last customer sent her batting......... its Morning Glory

Well I had time o e-mail her before I load the quilt......... she said if its yucky just dont use it and she will pay for better batting....

Thought It was great you all sounded off and that is what was in the box..... How was that for timing?

LindaSusie

I order batting by the roll, either from <www.lequilters.com> Linda Taylor or from Gammill's in West Plains, MO. I live in a remote area...35 miles from WalMart, even further to Hancock's or Joann's and most of my clients prefer the 6.6 oz poly batting that I keep on hand than having to drive 35 miles or more to get something they don't really care for either. I charge $3.50 per yard for the 96" and $1.75 per yd. for the 48". So the cost is affordabel, the clients just bring their tops and backing and I get to work with "really nice" batting.

Archived