Need ideas - Colorwash Irish Chain

Okaaaay, I got the stop and start thing pretty much figured out --- but do you stitch over the thread tails? Or do you hold them in one hand, away from the needle's path, as you control your machine with the other hand? I guess I'm a little confused here......

I'm bad. Bad bad bad.

I pull up the thread, needle up/down three times, while pushing down on the top slightly just beyond the needle plate--this displaces the fabric a thread away and I get those stitches not on top of each other. I stitch the beginning of my design and then clip close!!

Yikes! No tie-off, no bury the ends, and if I am using cotton thread, no problem with the stitches coming out. For thin poly, or mono, I do tie and bury--but I hate it!

Lazy lazy lazy/bad bad bad!!:cool::P

Of course, I don't do show quilts so if I am happy and the stitches don't come out, I guess I am OK.!

Cindy Roth pulls up her bobbin thread at the end, clips close, and applies Fray Check to the ends with a needle-nose applicator. I tried it, didn't like it--sometimes the Fray Check stains, and sometimes I could feel the stiffness of the adhesive.

So I will continue to be bad--and lazy!

I am sure coming out of the closet like this wiil come back to haunt me!!:P

Originally posted by barbm

but do you stitch over the thread tails? Or do you hold them in one hand, away from the needle's path, as you control your machine with the other hand?

Sorry Barb!!

I stitch over the tails--hopefully they will stay together so they are easier to tie off.

Originally posted by barbm

Okaaaay, I got the stop and start thing pretty much figured out --- but do you stitch over the thread tails?

Yes, I just let them lay there on the top and if they just happen to be in the way of my quilting space that I am going through, then I just stitch right over those thread tails and then pull them through the "just stitched" area... I have not had problems pulling them through. :)

If i'm doing it correctly like Myrna said, I hold the threads in the 6 o clock position, then needle down, needle up, then hold the threads in a 3 o clock position, then needle down, needle up, then back into the 6 o clock position, needle down, needle up, and go on your merry way. THEN, I can clip as close as possible, with my curved ended scissors, so as not to cut any fabric.

Clear as mud?

Archived