Maybe a stupid question

I making a quilt from a dress that I took apart. The fabric is 100% polyester satin. All pieces of the dress have stabilizer sewn to it along each seam edge. Here's the stupid question. Do I remove the stabilizer or keep it on? One friend says keep it to retain the stability of the fabric but it seems to me the need for the stabilizer is now past, and in order to get quality quilting I wouldn't want that stabilizer in there.

I'd like to hear from the more experienced . . .

Thanks for any help.

I.m not experienced in this subject but maybe just test a small piece to see the results without stabalizer and see if it satisfies you. What exactly will the quilt be? It the poly/satin fabric going to be in small pieces of a block or what? Curious minds want to know!!!!!!!!

Linzi is right, the issue is fraying. If I am working on a memory quilt that has poly satin in it, I use a lightweight iron on interfacing, like tricot. It does not effect the quilting because it is behind the entire piece of fabric. It allows the fabric to blend in better with the other fabrics and not cause problems in the quilting process.

Archived