Minkie backing

So I am about to load my first quilt with a Minkie backing. I'm a bit scared. I searched the archives and discovered that people say to load the Minkie with the selvages pinned to the leaders. My problem is that I can't load it that way, as the CompuQuilter design that my customer wants is an E2E with words in it and the words will be sideways if I try to load the quilt sideways.

Any ideas?

This customer used to be a longarmer with a computerized machine (not APQS) and had to sell her machine when they moved here and her house doesn't have room for the machine. So she has definite ideas about what she wants. ;-) She picked the design and everything.

Wish me luck.

Hi Sheila,

The reason for loading the selvages pinned to the leaders is because the greater stretch goes lengthwise. Therefore, you'll just need to watch that you don't stretch the minkie too much when you tighten up the rollers.

I'm sure that others with more knowlege and experience with Minkie will chime in, but I hope that will at least get your started.

Hi Sheila, I, too, am getting ready to load a minkie backing. However, mine is planned for selvages to the leaders. Like Beth said, we're going to have to make sure to not stretch as we go. I'm planning to mark my backing every 24 inches just to keep an eye on things. I did that on the last quilt I did because the backing was a hair too short. When I saw that my halfway mark on the backing was matching the half way mark on the top, I knew I was going to have enough. If my marks on the minkie closely match the increments on the top, then I figure everything will come out alright.

This quilt has a black and white top, sort of a turning twenty configuration--wild! The minkie is hot pink!:P

2572594710100404369S425x425Q85.jpg

I'm trying to decide whether to use hot pink thread on top, or black, or white. I know it won't show on the back since it will bury itself in the minkie. Are you wanting the script to show on the minkie? I'm curious about how the script will cover the top. Is it all over, or just in the borders?

Anyway, I hope you have good luck. I have one quilt to finish and hope to load mine before the end of this week. Keep us posted as you go and let us know your successes and words of wisdom.

If you can't load your minkee with the selvedges to the leaders, then the best advice would be to sew on 4-6" strips of muslin all around the minkee to help stabilize the stretch. You just need to use your biggest basting stitch to baste that muslin on and then you can easily rip it off once you are through quilting. Even with the muslin strips on you should be careful of pulling tightly with the clamps or rolling tightly.

TJ

Well, I have one row done! I tried to be very careful of stretch while loading it.

The script does show on the back, but, of course, it is backwards! ;) I am using 40wt. Signature thread. The customer provided the thread, as she said she has so much left over from when she was longarming, so I am using that thread both on top and in the bobbin.

So far so good!! By the way, thanks much for all the pointers. This group is so great. I'll post a picture, along with some others I have done recently as soon as I am done.

I sing in a chorale that practices tonight, so have to go now and will finish when I get home. Or hopefully will, if all continues to go well.

I have done a couple of quilts with minkee backing and all went fine... HOWEVER....

...However one of these was a very large quilt (Queen) and that minkee was a bit of a bugger to manage. I was able to quilt it just fine but it did require a little more shall I say "tending to" to make sure it didn't get wonky on me. The tending to required more time and attention. Time is money, right?

So, that said, would you consider this something that might require a little extra "fussy" charge to the bill? The small minkee backing was no trouble, but that big queen size quilt took me a while to fiddle around with it.

Thoughts?

When you did your queen, did it sort of sag in the middle? My workspace is 22-24 inches and I am a little worried about the minkie sagging and not wanting to pull on the sides to tighten it. Eeekkk.

Thanks Monica: I can do it, I can do it...

Hmmmm Sounds like an interesting idea. I wouldn't rule it out or think it a dumb thought. I might try it on a small sample just to see how the hopping foot behaved in the pile. The only issue I would have is trouble seeing the stops and starts amongst the pile. It would be like monkeys searching for fleas in their fur:P

Well, the quilt is done. I think that she had stretched the flannel blocks a bit, as I had to do quite a bit of 'maneuvering' by hand to get it to lay flat and quilt in. That was hard to do without stretching the Minkee on the back, but it is done. I'll post a picture either tomorrow or Friday.

As far as putting the Minkee on the top, doesn't sound like a dumb idea at all. Of course, I would want to try it before using it on a customer quilt to make sure the hopping foot could handle it. And it wouldn't have worked for this quilt, because then the words would have been backwards on the front of the quilt!

Archived