MORE ABOUT MQS

Hi, just want to remind you... when you get to MQS, at some point in the week stop by the Community Outreach Booth and help them with their quilting. For every 2 hours of quilting, you can put your name in for the volunteer door prize drawings. And at the end of the show, we draw for a GRAND PRIZE!!!

Thanks, and can't wait to meet all of you.

Even if you haven't signed up to volunteer (:( ) stop by the volunteer desk and say hi. Would love to put a face to a name.

Is this where you sew on donation quilts ? Or do you quilt them ? I'm up for some piecing ! In fact, it is very relaxing, gives you a chance to sit and regroup and still do something worthwhile !:cool: I try to do it at each show I go to. Had a blast working with the young, good looking firemen in Paducah one year. I'll look for you. Glenda

Yes Mary Beth it is the donation quilts.

Although I like Glenda's idea.... sitting, piecing, relaxing... Sounds like my idea of a good day.

The thought of working on one of those machines scares me to pieces!! I leave that to you. When I need my quilts quilted I call on Janet and Mary. That is what a big sister and her best friend are for.

Jackie, I like Glenda's idea too... especially the part about her working with good looking firemen in Paducah. Got any plans for good looking firemen hanging out at MQS this year?? ;) You know the theme is "fire and ice" so there may be a fire to put out. Best to be prepared with having several good looking firemen and a big fire truck standing by just in case. Right?

Jackie, I am interested in helping with some of those donation quilts. I'll stop to see you (and gotta get my hug) for sure. :)

Hey Jackie, I think the machine companies furnish the machines and fabric companies give fabric, and the best part----- we get to sit and piece ! :P I'm sure a local guild takes on the project to pick an easy pattern and pre cut . It's something to think about for the future. In Paducah it was sergers and strips. Just vertical rows. I tried to do some quilting last year but me and the machine were NOT friends at all. Maybe this year it will either a different machine or we can come to terms with each other. I'll give it a whirl.:) It's getting closer . Glenda

Hey everyone - do volunteer! You'll get more out of it than you give, I promise.

Since Jackie mentioned the deal about getting your name in the hat for every two hours of volunteer time - then you're eligible for the door prizes and the Grand Prize.....well, I gotta tell ya - these prizes are really pretty great.

The hourly (or so) door prizes are not just little nothings....they are excellent items! And the Grand Prize.....oh my goodness! Many vendors donate many items....big things (sewing machine, books, patterns, templates, etc....). It's way more than you can carry. And I should know......I was lucky enough to win the Grand Prize a couple of years ago!

There are lots of good reasons to volunteer.....the chance to win prizes is just the icing on the cake!

Renae,

Are you wanting to volunteer in the Outreach Booth? Just stop by the volunteer desk so we can get your volunteer hours down. Then you would just go to the booth and quilt away.

If you are wanting to volunteer with other things, you can email me and we can get you on the schedule.

Thanks bunches!!!!

ps.. I say I will not be quilting because I know NOTHING about the machines... I am the piecer that supplies all you folks with work. I love to see my top after you have worked your magic!! The things you can do with my work. I have been piecing for over 10 years.

Oh Bonnie,

I think those are the most special. Every year we have a show pin, and then we also have a pin especially for the volunteers. This year I got to pick the pin. It was so much fun and so many to choose from.

This years pin is called "Many Hands Around." I picked that one because without many hands from volunteers it would be very difficult to have a show the size we have.

This pin is only for the volunteers. They cannot be bought, only earned.

So Jackie, how do you earn these pins? I have volunteered the last three years and I have never received a pin. Is it just for the volunteers in the judging area? Maybe I just haven't done enough. I was only the teacher's angles and I did white glove during the show. I talk too much to be in the judging room :)

MB, no, the only ones that don't get the pins are the WG. I think I still have one or 2 from last year I will let you have. I will check and then you remind me at MQS!!

Ladies, (and gents), PLEASE feel free to tell me when I messed up! I'm used to it. I do it often.

Shana, wasn't last year the Hawaiian pattern? Or was that the year before?

ps. I know about not being in the judging room. Janet doesn't even allow me in the door!!! ;)

Yeah, it's the pits having a big sister in charge of the judging room. She knows me MUCH too well!!

Thanks for the picture Bonnie. I knew somebody would set me straight.

MB and Shana,

if you play your cards right, I can get you a volunteer pin from last year. For a nominal fee, of course.

(The fee of course being rich, dark, chocolate. he he)

That's a bummer that you lost your pin Shana. I pinned mine to the ticket inside the clear plastic pocket on the outside of the wallet thingy. That meant the little backings were inside the wallet which was zipped closed. They were snug and secure that way. I also replaced the string on my badgeholder/wallet with a smooth flat nylon lanyard string. It was more comfortable on the back of my neck--I wore that thing all day, every day. It was my ticket to dinner and ice cream and held my tickets and receipts and other necessities like credit card and cash. I didn't have to lug my purse around. Walking around the vender mall is tiring enough. It was nice to be hands free.

2948326820100404369S425x425Q85.jpg

It was easy to replace. There are grommet holes where the old one is attached. Just cut it out and insert new lacing. It has to be the kind of lanyard that comes apart, or you'll have to cut it and make a knot. It would be fun to buy some decorative nylon lacing. You would need at least a yard or more, depending on how long you want it to hang. I looped mine through the holes instead of just tying knots like the original string.

I'll be waiting for pictures, and I'll be there in spirit. Thanks Jackie.:)

Archived