Turn around time in your area?

I live in northeast Ohio and I try to keep my turn around time 1 week per quilt. Now that being said it depends on if I get a custom quilt that is going to take longer. Since I opened my business 5 years ago I have never had a wait list longer than a month and that was because I had 17 quilts in one month. I have heard some in the area's wait list is 6-8 months and when they find out I can get it done sooner I tend to get a lot of new customers. I haven't ever had a customer disappointed that their quilt was done early lol. I always let them know when I call them for pick-up if they need alittle more time to save up money to let me know but only twice have I had a customer hold me out for 9 months to pay me and both quilts were hers and needless to say I no longer quilt for her by my choice.

Please note that the original post is from 2006 and I imagine many things have changed since then for those who shared at that time! :P 

I think it's a waste of effort and time to compare businesses (and backlogs) because there are so many variables involved. No one has the same business model, the same talent, speed, machine, drive, economic needs, or geographic location. Every business is unique.

.....I think it's a waste of effort and time to compare businesses (and backlogs) because there are so many variables involved. No one has the same business model, the same talent, speed, machine, drive, economic needs, or geographic location. Every business is unique.

Every Business is Unique - So True!

IMHO I think it is unacceptable to have a backlog so long that the customer must wait 6-8 months to get their quilt returned and finished. Really, I cannot imagine it. But like Linda said, each quilter's business is different.

I will say that one of my strongest "selling" points with my quilting business is I have a reputation for quick turnaround. Usually within 1-2 weeks the quilt is finished and back with the customer. I don't like having a backlog, and if there are more than five quilts in my studio in line waiting, I start to get antsy. :)

Hey - I am in South-central Alaska and my turn around time is 1 week to 10 days after I receive their quilt, only because I only go to town once a week.  I do only edge to edge.  I don't like to have people wanting long for their quilts.  I know there are other gals in the area who do custom and they are booking months out.  I think that is crazy.  I don't want to be responsible for all of those quilts sitting waiting.

Archived