Lights on, but no go

I have a problem with my Millie. :( very unusual. Last night I was merrily quilting away using monofilament thread for the first time, when all of a sudden there was a loud bang! My needle not only broke but came out of it's socket and lodged itself in my quilt. I pulled out the needle, took out the bobbin case/bobbin, and pulled out a long piece of monofilament thread that was lodged in there (didn't find the tip of the needle though). I replaced the needle, put the bobbin case/bobbin back in, couldn't feel any grooves with my fingernail, so I turned the machine back on .. and all it did was light up the yellow and red lights simultaneously and give out 3 beeps .. no go. So I turned everything off then back on again, this time adjusting the speed but the same thing happened ....... nothing. After that my machine wouldn't even turn on the yellow/red lights or beep. I checked the breaker switch, everything was good, the machine light comes on but the hopping foot does not go up or down by itself (when I turn the machine on), or if I use the yellow control button.

Oh gosh what have I done? Has this happened to anyone else out there? I had expensive nightmares last night. I tried phoneing APQS but they aren't open on weekends.

I know on this forum there is someone who can guide me to fix it.

Thanks,

Janet

Millie Owner/Operator

Did you blow a fuse in the machine? I don't know if the light works separately from the fuse. Maybe others will have some suggestions. I know it is maddening not to be able to resolve a problem on the weekend, especially if the quilting bug has bitten.

Sounds like you blew a fuse, they are on the backside of the Millie's near where the cords plug in. If you open the little door there are fuses in there, with an extra usually. They are pretty small but the shock of the needle breaking like that often blows a fuse. Also if you get her running you should get out the manual and look at the timing section and see if the eye of the needle is showing in the bobbin area as it shows in the diagram.

I have a Canadian Mille and did the same thing when i first got mine. The fuse beside the plug is not the only one, there are 2 more fuses inside the machine ( so the machine can be CSA approved). You have to take off the top cover ( where the plug comes out) and you will find the fuses in two different locations and they are different amps. There should be small stickers on the machine at each fuse location with the amp numbers on them, one is a slow blow fuse...i think a 3.15 amp??? The other is around 2.25 amp??? I blew the 3.15 when this happened to me, the other one was fine.

I'm not at home right now, i'm visiting family in Winnipeg for my kids Spring Break, so i can't go check sorry. APQS did not send extra fuses with my machine....i got mine at the Source and bought a lot of extras!!!!!!You can get them online if your not near one. I put a 3amp fuse in my machine until i found a 3.15 and it worked fine.

So don't worry your machine is fine, your just going to get to know the inside of it a bit better, and that's a good thing!

Amy at APQS emailed me fantastic instructions with pictures on how to find and change the fuses.

Hope this helps.

Thank you all so very much for all your valuable information. I will print this page off so I can use it for reference. I have not had to go "inside" my machine up until now so here goes ..... lol.... hope there is an extra fuse in there for me, we'll see.

I appreciate all your help, I knew someone out there would have the answers. I have been piecing all day today so will open her up tomorrow morning and put all this good information to use.:)

Janet

Millie Owner/Operator

I was so excited this morning thinking that after changing the fuse I would be off quilting again, wrong. I did pull out the fuse under the back plug in, it didn't look burnt out but I changed it anyway. Still no go though.

Barb you mentioned that maybe my machine would have 2 fuse boxes being as it was shipped up here to Canada. As I have not had problems with my machine in the past, there has not been a need to go "inside" to see how things work (think I've been lucky so far). But you did happen to mention that maybe John would know, do you happen to have his email address so I could contact him?

Thanks a bunch,

Janet

Millie Owner/Operator

Janet, don't be afraid to take off the top cover, just loosen the screws and it is off. you don't have to even take the screws all the way out. IT's good to get to know the inside of your machine....i have replaced my motor and fixed my drive belt ...that was scary but i did it and felt really good after.

I'm sure it the the fuse closes to the free hand side of the machine. All you need is a flat blade screwdriver to remove the fuse from its case (a 1 inch long black cylinder)....it's finding a replacement fuse that might be the trick. Hope you have a electronics store close by.

Hello again, just wanted to let you know that my DH found where the 2nd. fuse was hidden (in plain sight). It is located on the same side of the head as the fuse with the little drawer containing that spare fuse. Only it is inside a black round "button looking plug" with a slot in it (that fuse goes in lengthwise). Luckily we went to town and an electronics store was open today, they have those fuses (2/pkg) so now I have a spare. I was just on my machine again (after oiling it, etc.) and it is running like a kitten. So just wanted to let any other owners in Canada know that there are indeed 2 fuses, and on the Millie both are located on the same side as the power plug in.

Just wanted to say thank you again for everyone's input. Well now I better get back to my quilting and hope everyone else is having a good day also. ;)

Janet

British Columbia

Millie Owner/Operator

Archived