Guest Linda S

I really do not like the Warm and Natural (or white) products. They don't give you much definition or loft and if you use a flannel backing, they tend to beard. I am discouraging my customers from using this stuff. I generally use Hobbs batting -- wool is my very favorite, followed by silk. I do still use 80/20 and I like some of the products from Quilters' Dream too. Not saying that I like really poofy quilts, I just like my quilting to show without having to use a lot of contrasting thread.

Linda

Bearding. Wool.

I've noticed that two of my quilts I used Hobbs wool and there are little strands of fuzz (looks like short curly hair) poking through here and there. Is this bearding? If so, I am getting this with wool.

I love the way wool drapes and looks and feels. I could probably accept a few bearding furs to pop through as a compromise. :)

I get bearding with lots of different waddings, and I think it is partly due to the thread and fabrics. Some threads seem to pull more fibres through the quilt than others. I'd love to use more wool waddings but cost prevents it. I am using a lot of warm and natural right now, and I am finding I am getting surprisingly good definition. I have to admit my choice is very driven by cost. The prices are going up rapidly and I have to keep shopping around.

Ferret

Can someone post a picture of "bearding"? And while we're at it, for the newbies, how about pictures of pokies, and loopies, and other flaws of our trade?:D

It would have to be pretty clear and up close I would guess. I'll try my camera for some pokies.

Sylvia. There is a fabric rep here locally that you can order Hobbs wholesale (with a business license) and you can order just one batt or one case or whatever quantity you choose. I think he can work your area too. Let me know if you want his name and number.

I use a lot of Dream Wool, Dream cotton, select loft, warm & natural, Dream Angel, so soft and fire retardant. I only get bearding on black fabrics occassionally and it does come off after washing. I don't use Hobbs or Fairfield, too many wrinkles in the Hobbs and I've found it to be uneven in thickness, think thin spots of batting here and there, Fairfield is just not nice to use on the longarm at all. I have a wholesale account with Dream and they are usually pretty fast with shipping. All you need is a tax ID number to establish your account. I get Dream at 40% with free shipping from Joann's.

Sylvia,

Have you tried feeling wool batt to see if you have a reaction? I used to work with a woman who would hold a skein of wool yarn to her face/skin to see if it made her itch. I wonder if it would bother you once it's in a quilt? Of course, you've also got to get it into the quilt in the first place I guess. You could always come out here and I could load the wool batt for you, then you wouldn't have to touch it. Just a (silly) thought.

As to felting, I've only done 2 quilts with wool, but the manufacturer says to dry it flat. No problems with felting so far.

Archived