When placing a design in a block, or border, do you always SID the block or border, or is that just a personal choice. Are there benefits to doing it, I know it helps stabilize the fabrics/block but are there any other benefits. I have seen quilts done that don't have any SID

Kerry,

You answered your own question in a way:). SID does stabilize the block, and it can still be a personal design choice. Sometimes it heps to SID to make areas of the quilt that should look "square" to really stay "square".

A prime example of this would be borders, especially narrow ones. If quilting only comes near to the border seam line, but the ditch hasn't been stitched, a border that started out very straight and true can end up looking wavy, just from the lack of SID.

I happen to like the "crisp" look that SID gives to quilts, but many quilters don't feel the need for it. I will tell you that when I have judged machine quilting competitions, quilts that had lots of distortion or waviness often received some constructive comments about how SID would help prevent it.

You'll have to decide how the end product should look and what you like :)

You know that old saying "A quilt isn't finished until the binding (or label) is on" ? I feel a "custom" quilted quilt isn't finished until the SID is done. It just gives the quilt a more professional appearance, and really showcases the quilting and piecing.

As Dawn said, it also helps keep the blocks, borders, sashings, nice and straight before adding all the stitching that could distort them.

Coming from a construction background (Daddy was a builder, cabinet maker, fine finisher), I compare it to doors without the casings. Sure, the door will still open and shut, but the whole thing just isn't finished until the trim casings go on! :cool:

Thanks for the info, I hate it when I secong guess myself. The quilt I am working on, I had done the outer border and the inner border, no SID. I looked at it in the dark with just a spot light, and the borders looked wavy, even though they are straight. I did the SID tonight, borders, blocks sashing. What a difference. Everything looks so much better, crisper, more finished. Just as you all said it would. SID takes time and effort, but really is worth it! I will be much happier with the end result if I SID those critical areas. Thanks again.

When I hit the ditch, it looks great. Horizontal and vertical lines aren't too difficult but I am having the dickens of a time SID on the diagonal! Even with a ruler! I have to go rip some stitches this morning and am putting it off. Oh well...practice makes perfect. And I'm determined to do good SID.

That's so funny! Several have said that SID gives a quilt a more finished, crisper appearance. I've always thought that leaving out SID makes it look blurry. Same thing, huh? I like the division it gives. Like "this stops here. Now this other thing begins.". It just defines the space.

Archived