How To Price When Using CL

I started out pricing it toward light custom work. Now I've brought it down to the same as my mid-range pantos. This was to encourage customers to request it on their quilts! It is a quicker method than doing any pantos, so I still consider it good money!!!

My price for CL swirls is $.0175 per sq/in. because the design is closer together and more dense. I am working on CL 7 Wonders right now, and will be charging $.015 because it is a more open or less dense. With CL templates you can quilt a design pretty fast, so if you charge by the time it takes to do it, you won't make much moolah!!;) So my theroy is...doesn't matter how long it takes, but the density of the pattern.

I was just typing this message and hit the wrong button...I was almost finished...so it is lost in cyber space...here we go again.....

No, I do not take the cost of the template into consideration. King Swirls costs $549. If I quilt 4 quilts 86" x 108" at .0175/ sq in - this is $162.54 each. Iwill have more than paid for my template.

That means that I paid for that template the first month or two that I had it.

The Swirls template is the best seller. When people see it they want it. It looks great on contemporary as well as traditional patterns, so it is versatile.

All of that said....I am a cheap skate...I hate to spend money on tools that don't work for me....Circle Lord works for me.

My DH would have a stroke if he knew the amount...but I keep that to myself ;) However, he was watching me use the 7 Treasures template on Sunday, and commented on how fast the quilting was going using that template. That is how the template pays for itself. You only do about 4 quilts and you are home free.

I agree with what MaryBeth has said.

Something to add to it tho'....that 86x108 quilt that she is talking about could be accomplished in less than 3 hours using these templates, so your hourly wage is sweet...and if you were so inclined, you could do another one that same day!

I charge .015 per sq inch for the CL templates. I throw in the batting because I don't want to use folded, wrinkled batting. I have paid for the swirls template MANY times over. I think I've only used the 7 Treasures once. I just haven't had time to do anything else. I have a custom on the frame that I have put 22 hours in and am getting $100. I take the CL stuff any day. Can make up to $20 per hour on that stuff!! Bought the lift and crosshatch template at least a month ago and still don't have it out of the pkg. No time. Wish I could live on 5 hours of sleep.

Thank you for bringing up this subject. I started looking at the CL web site at the templates that I "need" to add to my collection :P:D I almost have a complete set!! What then?

Oh, I might add. I have batting on the roll, I don't provide it...but I do offer it. All of my customer use my batting. It is just easier for them. Ocassionally, a customer will bring me batting, but I try to discourage that.

I wasn't sure which ones to get except I knew I loved the swirls. I wound up ordering the king swirls, king 7 treasures, king baptist fan/clam, the spiral, the tile & the basic.

There were just too many to choose from. Not sure if I made the right choice or not but it's a done deal.

With my freehand I've always charged by the square inch so I will do the same with the CL. I just wasn't sure which catagory to put them in.

Thanks to everyone for your answers.

Archived