Dream Batting

Wow I just received my Dream Puff Batting. It looks and feels so soft. I'm loading some fabric for a small whole cloth practice piece to see how it works. I have a feeling I'm going to love it. I also did a childs quilt today using the Dream Angel flame resistant batting and wow I love it. It does feels so good in the childs quilt. It is a little more pricey but I love the feel the finished quilt has. Just for fun a photo of my Novelty children quilts is attached.

post--13461897798847_thumb.jpg

I've been using a 6 oz 70/30 Dream batt recently that I just love. I think I'll call and see if they'll send me some samples to try of their new batts.

I really like the idea of a quality flame retardant batt to use in crib quilts. I have several new nieces and nephews and those little quilts are so much fun to put together. It's nice to be able to give mom a little reassurance along with the quilts.

Grammie, I get such a kick out of your postings sometimes. I relate to your photo glitches and admire your persistence! Keep up the good work. thanks for sharing the new Dream stuff!!

Vicki

Yes, The Dream Puff is from Quilters Dream Batting. My little samples just

came the other day. They are on back order yet, should be shipping in

April they said, high demand for this stuff!

They also have a new item called Dream Wool, which is very soft and is

a bit thicker than the Dream Puff - looks almost twice as thick. This one can

even be machine washed and dried - without shrinkage - wool!

Give them call - The samples are small - 2" x 2" but helps to feel it first. It

would be nice to get a big enough sample so that a person could stitch

out a sample with your favorite threads and such to see how it quilts.

http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/

I am not knocking Hobbs batting but stating the facts as they appear in my little quilting studio. I've been a Hobbs fan for years and years and years! I have defended Hobbs and swore they were the best for at least a dozen years. In the last few years, my opinion has changed and once the Hobbs batting here is gone, I will not order more. I still love the poof of Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 for feathers and I still love to sleep under quilts with Hobbs Heirloom 100% cotton batting.

I had heard others complain about Hobbs batting and what I had received from them had always been perfect and I was so sure the other quilters were just being too picky. Then about 3 years ago, I received a roll of 80/20 that I swear I could have used for pot scrubbers. It was flat and rough. I tried it in one of my own quilts and it washed up ok but it didn't feel good before it was washed. I used it for donation quilts . . a whole roll! Then the next roll I opened had pieces of leaves and stems all crunched up . . looked like it was straight out of the handy dandy mulchers you see on TV. I called Hobbs and complained. Mr. Wilbanks was very sorry and explained .. I can't remember the details but I think he said they had contracted out their cleaning process and it hadn't worked out and they were going to do something different. OK . . I can understand that something like that goes wrong every now and then.

Then I was quilting a white quilt with white batting. I hadn't inspected the batting, just rolled it off the roll, cut it and started quilting. Right smack dab in the middle was about a 6" x 6" piece that looked like someone had thrown in a clump of black shredded batting and mixed it all in with the white. I unrolled more of the batting and there were several spots throughout the roll with that same problem. Cut it out, fired off a letter to Mr. Wilbanks sending him the dirty batting.

Another time, I had a whole case of packaged batts that had what seemed like glue dots all through it. I was afraid I'd break a needle if I hit it going too fast. I ended up giving the whole case of batting to a lady who hand quilts.

I said to myself that I was not going to order any more Hobbs batting and as I begin to get low, I start thinking . . maybe I'll give them another chance. Then a customer from FL sent me a packaged batt recently and it had the glue spots all through it.

Hobbs has too many quality control problems for me. I am not ordering from them any more.

Quilters Dream batting has always been perfect. It costs a little more than Hobbs but by the time you factor in how much hassle I've had with Hobbs, the extra cost of the QD is nothing! The Quilters Dream people are very, very nice; very, very quick. They have no minimum order and are just great to work with. I have never ever seen even a minute problem with their batting.

So, if you're using Hobbs and having no problem, you're lucky. If you try the QD, I think you'll be impressed.

I was wanting to order the Quilters Dream in the 70/30 but wasn't sure what weight. I would want the select or thicker. Which have you tried? I like the thicker Deluxe but needed an opinion on it. I love the Puff and Dream Angel. It cost alittle more but both have quilted like a dream so far.

Anyway which weight of the 70/30?

Tammie: Just feeling all three of them that I have here, I'm going to say that the Dream Blend is thicker than the Select Cotton, maybe as thick as the Deluxe Cotton but not as dense as the Deluxe.

When you call QD, ask them how it compares and they'll be able to tell you everything you need to know.

I haven't had any problems with Hobbs but after reading about your problems Judy, I'm not going to risk re-ordering. I just received some samples from the Warm Company and am really impressed with their new Warm Bond but it's a little more expensive than their Warm & Natural. Has anyone tried it yet?

The reason I was ordering Hobbs is because it came in a 96" roll which accommodates more of my quilts than the typical 90" roll available from other companies. Has anyone found a manufacturer that has a good product that is more than 90" wide?

Thanks,

I can also tell you on the Airtex (sp?) batting - we tried the 80/20 it was

very similar to Hobbs - cheaper - and is close by us so we could go and

pick-up rolls when we needed.

Beware! It had chucks through out it - like giant slivers of wood - plant material - Nasty! Again this was a cleaning problem and they were working

on improving that. My boss at the time said "No more!"

My biggest complaint about their batting is that it STUNK really bad - and I

do mean it - It smelled really bad! Especially if you were using a steam

iron on it - could not stand it!

Knock on Wood - I have not had a problem with Hobbs - but I do really

like Quilters Dream quality.

I just went to a Harriet Hargrave lecture and she stated that Hobbs has lost it's quality as well. I have used it and loved the loft but it has changed. I went to a local store to purchase some of the batting and there were two rolls. One was soft and light the other with that rough pot scrub roughness as Judy described it. I feel that once the batting is presoaked it softens a bit and does give more loft, but it still isn't nearly as nice as it used to be. I have found bats with little black grease like dots in the batts. Disconcerting to say the least. If the company isn't going to improve I'm passing on Hobbs in future sad to say.

The dream puff appears to be a bit too puffy. I haven't used it yet, and have ordered some to try, but it's not the same as the Hobbs and I was hoping that it would replace the Hobbs 80/20 as that was my favorite batting for a good long while. Anyroad, maybe I'll just find that the Quilters Dream Wool is the substitute. I'll give the QD Puff a try and see how that works out. I won't need to presoak that one anyway. :)

What I am looking for is a lightweight batting that I can use inthe King quilts. People appreciate having a large quilt that they can lift and fluff easily without having a lot of weight dragging it down. I had found that in the Hobbs 80/20.

Other than that. I find Quilters Dream people to be easy to work with and with a consistently quality product, so I'm staying with them for the time being.

Maureen,

For a light weight batt in those King quilts, try wool. Yummy, soft, puffy and oh so light and warm at the same time.

I love all of QD batts and the company is a dream to work with. Now that QD has added Wool and Puff to their line up, it is the only brand I carry.

Archived