what to charge??

Hallre

Dear all,

A coworker of my mom's would like this quilt made. I normally just cut fabric for people, not actually make the quilt top.

I need help with a price. This would be just for the top (fabric included). I have similiar fabrics in my stash, so I wouldn't be buying the fabric, but using fabrics from my stash means that fabric couldn't be used in something else.

I would be hand appliqueing the fabric--not very good with the blanket stitch on my sewing machine. I would tell the woman she would need to buy the batting/backing material and take it to the LQS to be machine quilted (or I could recommend many of you!).

What do you think I should charge?

thanks for your help with this!

Rose Hall

$250 minimum to piece, another $200 or more to quilt after finished.

I just had someone ask me to make 2 twin size t-shirt quilts. I was to purchase the fabric, batting and backing. I asked $600. ( I spent about $100 for the fabric and batting and paid my mom to make the quilt tops so I didn't have to...my mom was in heaven and they turned out great) She gave a $100 tip, then came over and bought some (3)of my ebay quilts where I bought the top and quilted and spent another $450- I really only wanted cost plus $50 because I practiced and learned to machine quilt on those tops....they sure helped!

That is a lot of applique. Are you going to iron on and then buttonhole by hand or are you going to needle turn applique. If the 2nd I'd double what Holly said for a minimum. It is so hard to gauge how much time you spend. The best thing is to figure out what you estimate for time for each block, multiply by 12 and then add on for piecing the rest. I've gotten burned once too many times for not charging enough and giving away my hard work for $1 an hour.

No, thankfully, it's buttonhole/blanket stitch/whatever it's called---NOT needle turn. I don't "do" needleturn. haha.

thanks for your input--I was thinking of starting with a $250 price tag--gives me room to negotiate.

this group is the BEST!!!

Rose Hall

run, run as fast as you can. That is way to much work for 250. I'd recommend that you offer to show her how to trace the fusible and do it herself or take a class and pay someone to teacher her to do it herself. That quilt is a labor trap with all the little pieces.

Originally posted by lamedna

And you are supplying the fabric? I think you should charge her for that even if it is something you won't use anyway.

BTW, how big is it?

Hi!

The booklet says the quilt is 57x72. not huge, but all that applique would take me awhile.

Rose

Archived