Needles

Dory,

Several factors can play into tension issues with King Tut, including fabric tension, bobbin thread, and even fabric content. It helps to thread the three-hole thread guide differently (view this month's Quilt Talk article for a photo). The larger needle with King Tut really reduces flexing, which can cause the top thread to lay on the back of the quilt. Sometimes a 4.0 will be enough, other times it won't.

Unfortunately you'll have to do more experimenting with each quilt to get it just right!

I actually use my 3.5's for King Tut....mostly because I forgot it was there and it wasn't a 4.0....

The 4.0's are huge nails (in fact I use the dull ones to hang pictures around the house), can't imagine what a 4.5 would look like...guess it would give a new meaning to "Nailing a Quilt together":P

I use King Tut a lot and love it! I just skip holes while threading the machine. I put it through 1 hole of the 3, both places; and this has worked great. No breakage, no pokies. I have had to adjust the tension a bit, not too much though. And I've never had to adjust the bobbin tension.

Oh, I know, I talk like I'm an old pro! I'm not; but I have not had any tension problems and have done 4 quilts since February!

Archived