Monofilament & ...

I'm working on a baby quilt and need to do some SID. Is it true that I shouldn't use monofilament on baby quilts? If so...YIKES! This would mean I need to be PERFECT with my SID. Perfect and my quilting do not belong in the same sentence:o

And...I need to get some of the paper that you all use to practice your designs on. Floral wrapping paper or some such thing. Can someone point me in the right direction?

In the old days we would say no because it was so scratchy as the thread was so stiff and if you got a pokey it could do some major damage as it was like an invisable needle sticking out there. But, with the newer threads by Superior and Sulky and YLI, I would think as long as it not going to work its way out and totally unravel, it should be okay.

The newer threads are soft and bendable so its not going to scratch tender skin or poke an eye.

That also is true!

But again with the new threads I think you can get it way more secure than we could the threads of even 10 years ago, that would unravel just by looking at it....and over time the sun's UV rays would start to break down the product and they would start to pop and unravel even more.

Todays threads don't break down with the UVs and Surperior you can even iron their threads and it won't weaken...so no danger of it popping from the heat.

I don't know if I would do a WHOLE quilt that way, but the ditch work yes, but I would really really make sure the ends, starts/stops were not only buried, but totally secure so they wouldn't unravel....if its loose they could pick at it.

Dory,

I've heard that but really I don't think that monopoly or monolon are any stronger than any other thread you would use. Give them all the break test and see what you think. I think the monolon breaks easier than the monopoly. Not sure if that is better or not but I just think that this whole theory was developed back when the monofilament was like fishing line! I know somebody will disagree with this and I would like to be clear this is just my opinion. I would test that thread next to your other thread choice and see how easily each breaks! Or of course you can work on getting SID down perfectly!!:P:P:P

I was agreeing with both Bonnie and Heidi, until I got to Heidi's last sentence..."work on getting SID down perfectly." HA!! I'm going to go try the break test now and see what happens. I bet you guys are right though...old wives tale and mostly due to fishing line.

I always bury my tails, but I'll bury them deeply if I use the monfilament. I only have Superior's brand now; but will be springing for the Monolon when I've used up my Superior.

Thanks guys!!

Hi Dory,

I think with the stiff feeling old brands of Monofiliment thread you did have to be concerned. If the baby managed to find a loose end and start pulling on the thread, it would unravel and that is were the concern started. A few inches of unraveled stiff monofiliment thread coud get wrapped around little fingers, and that "old monofiliment thread" was wicked stuff. And that stuff was always coming loose from the starting point of stitching and unraveling for yards and yards across a quilt or in your clothing. One time the whole side of my blouse unraveled at a party. (long time ago)---Thankfully I had a sweater with me. :D

However, I think that now all the newer threads are ALL very strong textiles....and so any of them could present the same problem that we have tried to avoid with the old monofiliment threads we worry about! I know it takes quite a bit of pull to break any of the Superior threads, Perma Core too. My LAVA thread from Superior is tough stuff, that's why it never frays or breaks while I'm machine quilting! ;)

I guess the thing to do is make sure we secure our stops and starts, and that our tensions are tight back and front of the baby quilt, and hope parents notice any loose threads as the quilt is washed and used.

I used to have a baby shawl- blanket with lots of fringe for one of my kids when she was a baby. It was so pretty, but she was always getting her little fingers entwined in the fringe so I ended up cutting all of it off the shawl blanket. All five inches of fringe! It was some type of acrylic yarn....

I would use whatever thread you want.

hey dory!

what about not using a mono and use a thread like bobbin line or so fine in a color that blends really well for your SID?

(and on a second note- i don't think the infant will be judging how well you did or didn't stay in the ditch :P)

Dory, I wanted to add to the already excellent advice given.

If you choose to use monofilament thread (and I think it is OK to do this) to keep your unraveling concerns to a minimum, I would increase your stitches per inch to tiny... like 13 or 14. Chances are very minimum that these will unravel if you have tiny stitches and they are more secure, too. :)

Shannon, not a bad idea about a BL that would blend...except I'd be going around black sashing that is next to a light blue:o I think I may just do some sort of diagonal lines in the sashing because its too big to leave unquilted if I don't SID. Shana, I like your idea of tiny stitches...that may be the ticket. Or maybe I'll just stitch a line a 1/4 inch in....not sure yet.

The only instruction I received on this quilt was "nothing girly."

Archived