HELP Needed with StitchesComing Out

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? On every quilt I have made I always find spots on them where the stitches come out. I end up fixing them with my regular sewing machine. It happens to me all the time and I need to correct this problem.

Also, I was wondering if anyone out there has purchased the Gammill canvases with zip leaders in them? I am thinking about purchasing them and want to know how well they work with the APQS machine. I like them because they look so much more professional and neater than the Quick Zip. I also know they are expensive.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Guest Linda S

Is your thread breaking, or are you talking about where you start and stop your stitching? Your stitches should not be coming out of the quilt unless you are not properly securing the stitches at the beginning and end. You need to either backtrack a bit to secure the stitches or knot and bury them.

Linda

I have a Gammill Classic Plus and it has the canvas zippered leaders and I bought an extra set. I can zip a quilt off the machine and do repairs and zip it right back on. Or if you happen to have time to practice on one of your own quilts (or that little emergency baby quilt somebody needs like yesterday) zip off one, zip on the extra set, pin on and your set. I love mine.

I am having the same problem. My machine sews fine and then I have areas on the back were the top thread shows loops on the back. It is very strange. I have the stitch regulator on auto and the stitches set at 10. The bobbin is in right. I have adjusted the top tension and it looks good for a while and them an area has problems. You can not tell from the top so I miss it if i am not watching. The bobbin thread is straight and easy to pull out.

thanks

Pat

patrichter,

The way I learned it is, if you're getting loops on the back,

you have a problem with your top tension. Here are some

things to try:

-check you entire thread path. Are you hitting all the thread

guides before the tension?

- verify that you don't have any stray threads or stuff stuck

in the tension disks. I usually get a piece of thread 1 yard

long and fold it into 3 so the resulting thread is about a foot

long. Tie 3 regular knots in the middle section of the thread.

Dunk the thread piece in alcohol(Dewars Scotch works great

LOL :D) Squeeze the thread between your fingers to get the

excess alcohol out, you don't want it too wet. Then run that

piece of thread in between the tension disks so you can

feel the knots as they pass thru; make a couple passes. If

there is a piece of thread or lint (or cat hair or dust bunny)

stuck between the disks, it could throw your tension off.

This might be the doing of the evil STATIC MONSTER!!!!

For the first month or two going into the winter I was having a similar problem. Everything would be fine and then bango! Loopies and breakage. I now have a humidifier in the corner of my studio. Some people like to "freeze" their thread the night before, and when you take it out and the thread attracts moisture.

You didn't say what part of the country you are in, but that was my problem. For a while I used a crock-pot, but my DH was screaming about the electricity with the haet producing appliance on 24/7

Pat: Is the top thread breaking and actaully re-attaching and then continues on? If so, then the thread is breaking under the needle plate somewhere so it is an issue there. Try checking for burrs, clean out your bobbin case or try a new one, clean and re-oil, check your needle plate too. Is your bobbin thread breaking as well?

Good luck

Sue

Guest Linda S
Originally posted by jurcheck

Also, I was wondering if anyone out there has purchased the Gammill canvases with zip leaders in them? I am thinking about purchasing them and want to know how well they work with the APQS machine. I like them because they look so much more professional and neater than the Quick Zip. I also know they are expensive.

I know that neatness can be really important to a lot of people, but I think you will find that removing your leaders and putting on a new set will be a whole lot more trouble than simply stitching the Quick Zip System zippers to your leaders. I cannot imagine why you would want to do that. When you begin to get into the thick of things and are zipping (pun intended) through the quilts, tidiness is not going to be your main concern.

Linda

Not to mention! Once I ran too close to my zippers and hit one of the teeth with my needle and bango! a missing zipper tooth. I can order a single zipper if I want so I did. Cheap and easy!!!

Originally posted by Linda S

Originally posted by jurcheck

I know that neatness can be really important to a lot of people, but I think you will find that removing your leaders and putting on a new set will be a whole lot more trouble than simply stitching the Quick Zip System zippers to your leaders. I cannot imagine why you would want to do that. When you begin to get into the thick of things and are zipping (pun intended) through the quilts, tidiness is not going to be your main concern.

Linda

Originally posted by sueschellenberg

Pat: Is the top thread breaking and actaully re-attaching and then continues on? If so, then the thread is breaking under the needle plate somewhere so it is an issue there. Try checking for burrs, clean out your bobbin case or try a new one, clean and re-oil, check your needle plate too. Is your bobbin thread breaking as well?

Good luck

Sue

Sue,

The thread is not breaking in most cases. Occasionally it will fray and break but the loop just appear on the back in spots without me changing anything. It is not even on one end or the other. Maybe it is a static thing. Anyway I am going to Sherri's class on Thursday so I will show her what is happening.

Thanks all for your great suggestions. What a great group you all are.

Hugs

Pat

Just another hint - I had the loopy thing once in awhile, maybe a total

of 8 to 10 on a whole baby quilt..... using King Tut cotton thread....

I was told to try it with the thread spool upside-down.

I did this and the problem seemed to go away! Hope you are able to solve

yours - keep trying - and good luck!

I just installed the quick zip system to my leaders on an older Ultimate 2 without the hopping foot. The old style foot is bigger and I had quite a time sewing them on and had to do part of it by hand. They work fine though and will not be a big job with a hopping foot. I have done one quilt with the zippers and it is nice. As for how it looks I don't recall Martha coming to check our studios or workrooms and if she does she might not like it but who cares. I have my machine in my living room and it's kind of taken over. Has this happened to anyone else? Now I just want to move to a big loft so I can have space for my machine and stuff. Cheryll

Archived