Poly okay - cotton an issue

Okay. It looks like timing - but I'd like to explain anyway. I can stitch with so-fine or bottom line and the stitches are fine. No issue - and I can go as fast as i want. I'm kinda a Speed Racer type quilter.

When I use cotton I have to sloooow way down to avoid issues. But I will still get loose stitches, like it's not locking between the threads. I can pull it out real easy, and once in every row (never in the same area of the table) I have stitches that have to be redone. You can see they have not hooked together well. Very loose on the back and loopy on the top. This happens even though the rest of the panto row is tight and threads are not easy to pull out.

Since it's happening in each row, but just for a 4-6 inch width, I thought it might be sensitive to lint etc. So I cleaned after each bobbin. Didn't help. So I need some HELP. I love the look of cotton but not the issue.

And if it is timing is it more likely not enough deflection in the needle as the hook passes? Or the needle depth? I'm thinking the needle deflection. Since the cotton is thicker maybe it needs a greater deflection than it currently has????

Help. It's driving me crazy....

Thanks

What sort of cotton? Is it King Tut or similar? Some thread doesn't like to be lonarmed at all...

Tension is weird... when I use metallic I have a sloppy bobbin and tighten the top up a lot...

If you like to go fast stick to the thread you know likes speed!

Kathy,

I don't think that the timing would be an issue unless it were a really thick thread. I would guess that it is the needle more than the timing. Also have you tried threading through only 1 or 2 holes instead of all three before it goes to the tention disk? It definitely sounds like your top thread still needs to be tightened more but you might want to try loosening your bobbin first and then working on the upper. I found that my machine works way better with a looser bobbin rather than tight.

I have to use cotton again on a quilt coming up. I'll try going real tight on the top. I did only thread through 2 of the holes instead of 3, which is how I usually do it. I think I might go with 3 and see what happens. Thanks for the responses.

yes, i actually hold the thread from the back of the tension disks and the front each time i thread to make sure it's seated properly....but will keep an eye on this when it happens again. customer coming today is a cotton thread only customer so hopefully i'll figure this out before i get to her quilts in a few weeks.

Kathy, Do you have a piece of batting just above the cone of thread to help with the whiplash before it goes through the other guides? Also I have my bobbin set to do a slow decline with cotton and then my top tension I will keep turning until I see the bobbin thread start to poke to the top, then back off a quarter of a turn until I don't see that anymore. So far it's working for me that way.

Well, yes, I do have the piece of batting. I'm running with a tight tension today and it's happening here and there. I'm going with the timing on this one. Bummer. I'll need to mess with it and I have such a high backlog right now. One more quilt and then i'll play with it. Thanks everyone - for your suggestions.

I have learned that I cannot easily use any cotton thread on tightly woven fabrics like some batiks.

Sometimes a larger needle helps by making the hole bigger so it doesn't tear the thread.

I use 3.5 with So Fine, 4.0 with King Tut, 4.5 with PolyQuilter.

Kathy, Have you read the post "Can't remember who it was....but"? Anyway she was saying that she was having problems with thread and come to find out was the screw that HOLDS the needle in, it was wore to where it would let the needle move ever so slightly but enough to cause loops. This could be an issue for you since the cotton would have a stronger pull on the needle. Check the end of your screw and see if a groove has been worn into it. It totally makes sense. I'm checking mine tomorrow.

Archived