Shrinkage

CarolO

I am still having problems with shrinkage and the quilting going off the edge of my quilt.

If I have a quilt that is 72.25 inches wide and I want to allow for shrinkage, how do I set this up if I am using Hobbs 80/20 batting and unwashed cotton material? I can't seem to ever get it right. I need to know what goes into the quilt width box, I think.

Thanks for your help.

Carol in Amarillo

Yolanda and Victoria,

Thanks for your replys.

I am doing the 4 to 6 inches on all sides. Sorry I forgot to let you all know the machine I am using. I have an APQS Millennium with CompuQuilter that I need to know what to put in the "Quilt width box". If my quilt measures 72.25 and I want to consider 1/2" shrinkage, do I put 71.75 in the Quilt Width Box? Am I doing this correctly? I haven't really done all that much quilting and find I just can't get going in the right direction. Some one once told me I was going in the wrong direction, but that has been almost a year ago and I can't remember what they told me.

Thanks for your help.

Carol

• 4 weeks later...

Carol,

I'm not sure if this would apply to compu quilter and figuring out shrinkage but if you want to determine how much shrinkage you need to account for when making a top you would have to quilt a test square and find the % of shrinkage (take quilted measurement and divide by original measurement). Then you would add that percentage to your top and you should come close to starting with a larger top that will come out the exact size you want once quilted. If I applied that theory to this you would want to reduce your design area by that percentage. Not sure if that is how it works but that is my guess. In this case the finished measurement is about 99% of the original so you would put in 71.5".

I do not have a CQ, but rather an IntelliQuilter. Every design you decide to use would affect the amount of shrinkage. There would be no set rule. When I am stitching out an edge-to-edge, I put in one inch more on the width than what the actual quilt measures out. I like to start with the right edge of the foot up against the fabric of the quilt, and end about the same on the ending edge (left edge against the fabric). What I do is watch when the stitching gets close to the end of the row and then stop and move my "clip edge" line to be closer to the edge of the quilt. Hope this makes sense.

Carol, I am probably way late to help ypu but here is my two cents.

I still struggle with the shrinkage on computer quilting, but this last top I did I got it exactly right. The top was 89.5, I entered 89 in the width box and it worked out perfectly. The E2E I am doing is fairly dense, so if you are working a light to medium dense E2E, I would maybe go a little more on the width(89.25???). Then again maybe it is always going to be somewhat of a guessing game. Even if you go a 1/2" less always, any unquilted area would be hid in the binding anyway! Hope that helped!

I guess I never worried about shrinkage. If it quilts consistently off the quilt and the sides are straight and not pulling in before quilting what is the problem? As I see it, as long as everything has stitches on it then I am okay. Maybe I am dumb or something but I am okay with it shrinking on me:P:P as long as it is stitched:D:D

I also have IQ and handle the shrinkage the same as Mitzi does. I usually make the quilt size slightly larger that my measurements. Then I add a marker toward the end of the row so I can clip the design close to the edge of the quilt.

I did a quilt last night where the quilt seemed to be drifting to the left as I rolled it and I didn't have much extra backing to stitch off the edge. I ended up putting a marker every couple of rows to reset the clipping.

If I have enough extra backing I will let it just quilt off the edge of the quilt and not worry about clipping exactly at the edge.

Carol,

I have the Millie-CQ. I baste the top, sides and bottom as I go and float the quilt. I usually setup the "start" and "end" 1/4" to 1/2' inside the edges. or right on the edges. The first row usually stops in the correct place but when you begin the next row the start position may be beyond the quilt edges because of the shrinkage. I usually let it start and end off the edge after that. It quilts evenly and looks fine. If you don't have enough backing and are running into the clamps or you prefer to have the design start and end inside the edges you can always go back to "Setup" and reset the "quilt width". You may have to do this on several rows as the shrinkage and width can vary as you go. Just make sure you have written down all the original settings so you can keep your " Pattern Height" the same. The only change should be "quilt width" and "pattern width". The small adjustment to width won't be noticed. If it is a nesting design make sure you are not quilting over stitching in the previous row. If you are using the "Crop" feature it is easier to quilt beyond the edges.

Sherry J

Millie-CQ

Archived