Practice Quilts

For newbies or anyone just wanting to practice new techniques I found several ebay stores that sell queen sized quilt tops for under $50.00 in many styles. I bought two for under 60.00 ppd. I hate using just muslin its so unispiring, but having a real quilt to play with will be great!

these tops are all cotton(from china or India) I figure I can donate them to a shelter when I am done practicing

Susan

I bought a few tops from various quilters on Ebay to practice on because, after I did my first real quilt, I found that there was a world of difference between a real quilt and a blank piece of fabric that I was practicing on and I was trying to bridge that gap. A couple of them will be fine for quilting on and the others leave a lot to be desired: seams that range from 1/8" to 1/4" leaving the top way off square, looooooong stitches and seams that pile on top of each other because the quilter didn't press them properly. Instead of Ebay, I would suggest buying the pre-printed tops as already suggested by Caron from Joann's or perhaps online at: http://www.pre-printed-quilt-tops.com/

Cathie

Another good source of practice pieces is your local quilt shop. Some of the people who take classes donate their classwork pieces back to the quilt shop; since it's their first piece of work done in the class, it often is not good enough (in their opinion) to bother with quilting it. So the LQS gets it back & someone from the quilt shop will eventually quilt it up to donate to charity--but they don't mind letting you quilt it for them as practice. It helps both the LQS & you! Ask & see if your LQS can supply you with a few practice pieces!:)

Pat

AZ

Mille

I have purchased quite a few tops on ebay and I agree with Cathie that some of them are, shall we say, less than perfect. I figure I need the practice on those types of tops as well. I would rather figure out how to deal with all those issues before I have to do it on a customer quilt. For example, I learned that if the seams are not well matched, I will steer the customer away from SID.

Holly

actually I bought one for designing as well, I have a triple Irish chain coming in and I wanted to really practice feathering using sherrys new book. I don't care if these are good quality for 30.00 I really didn't think it would be --but it would be a better way to practice freehand quilting as well mctavishing. I also bought a lone star quilt to practice design work as well, these are both queen size so there will be lots of room to try different ideas.

Susan

Hi, I was reading and found out some of you were wondering about quilts to practice on. You can receive quilts from Rosie at rosiecalicocupboard.com. Rosie has a camp called Reach for the Sky, they do charity quilts, (I believe for kids with cancer), and are looking for longarmers to help with the quilting. You can check it out and receive plenty of practice quilts. The cost is batting and postage, which is tax deductable, and you are doing a good deed. Check it out. I have been doing this for two years now.

Hello everybody,

That are real good idea's. Practicing on just muslin is getting boring. And I don't like to practice on my own nice quilttops.

The preprinted fabrics are just gorious, and real cheap. And also the quilts on ebay. I never thought about it.

Thanks for your information.

Jacqueline

Archived