Needle breaking

I need some adivce. Last night I was quilting on a quilt with lots of little triangles coming together causing a heavy buildup of fabric at the "intersections". Doing CCs and trying to get into those corners caused me to break two needles and send my machine out of timing not once but TWICE. GRRRR! How do you all deal with this issue?

I have had this same issue with a very poorly pieced quilt with a million seams and I found I had to slow waaay down when I was getting close to one of the intersections. Good luck I know how frustrating this can be. especially the really fun job of retiming.

Also need to slow down, when doing CC's and if doing free hand such as a background fill, I have my right hand on the gas and the left hand is gliding along in front of the needle and if I see or feel a thick area coming up I avoid it, and go around it. If I need to go through it, I then slow way down and sometimes even have to hand turn the needle down through it....

I broke two needles due to a build up of fabric in the corners on the Opportunity Quilt I did for our guild. It scared me to death!!

How did you know your machine was out of timing when this happened? I just put in a new needle and kept going...I haven't had any problems since then.

Dory when a machine becomes out of timing, there isn't any question about it.

However, there are several major signs of such, but the most obvious are majorily skipped stitches, not making a complete stitch, and poor stitches in general...one or two good ones, and then a series of poor ones. Also the needles will keep breaking..as they come around and aren't missing the thumb area of the hook assembly they will clip it and crash...when you get a couple of those in a row, there isn't any question about it...ya gotta stop and fix the beast.;)

Also when the timing is out on mine, it doesn't sound the same...its like a balance thing...the harmony just isn't the same....

All good things to know.

When the needles broke, the noise was downright scary. But everything stitched fine after and I've since finished three quilts with a 4th on the frame and none of the symptoms you're talking about have appeared.

Our machines are work-horses!!:)

Julie another thing that I've found that helps with thick seams is to give them a spray put a piece of fabric over them and then sandwich in between two boards and give it a good smack with a hammer. This will flatten it right out and get some of your frustrations out! Another thing you can sometimes do is spin the seams out so that you have a pinwheel shape and reduce the bulk.

I just recently read an article about smacking the seam joints with a leather mallet or a rubber mallet...won't hurt the fabric and smashes everything down so the needles don't break off. And then I went and forgot about it...need to mentally put this where I won't forget it again.:P;)

Good thing I didn't have that tool when I kept breaking the needles. I might have hit something other than the quilt!!:D:D

My machine seems to be especially sensitive to timing issues. The first three weeks I had it my husband had to retime it three times. Then Amy stopped by and worked her magic. I didn't have any more trouble until the evil quilt. It was a QOV and I should have dealt with those bulgy corners before putting it on the frame. Live and Learn.

Yes, I also broke a needle tonight, my first on the Millennium. Seems it was tired after stitching in the ditch the large hexagons for the one block wonder quilt I did a while back. I should have switched the needle since I was wondering if it might hold for a top border and a corner square and it did hold, but made a few pulled threads in my dark brown border. OK, so as I'm stitching the second border it seems pretty good, not too bad, but the 3rd border SNAP...what a terrible sound. The needle broke in two places, even bent a bit the upper part! It was in a set of needles that came with my new machine. I think they are 4.0 size. I've been oiling, cleaning alot, and changing needles with each quilt. I've waxed the metal rims of the tracks. Dusted and polished the machine each day. This was such a surprise, but maybe it was time to change it anyway!:D:)

Archived