Help with Piano Key Borders Please

I'm trying to post a picture that I think might help. I just continue the same lines but pretend there's a miter line from the inner corner to the outer corner--stop there. Also depends on how far apart your lines are, and how wide your borders are. I just did one that had three inch borders, and my lines were two inches apart---no room for any lines in the corner, so I left them open.

Good luck!

post--13461901905499_thumb.jpg

Hi Colleen,

You can treat the corner square as a separate unit and quilt something there that matches the interior quilting--for example a small feathered wreath, floral motif, or swirl. If you want to continue the straight lines, make the piano keys intersect at a right angle and the boxes get smaller until you run out of border. Did that make sense? I will look for a corner photo.

Another continuation of the straight lines is to continue the keys all across to the edges--then you end up with a nice checkerboard of lines in each cornerstone.

I am going to draw it out--back in a few...

Great ideas, everybody. Mary Beth's star fits into that swag just perfectly and I loved Linda's suggestion about continuing lines in both directions to wind up with a checkboard in the corner. Never seen that one before. Thanks for the inspiration! Nancy in Tucson

I also SID at the border seam, and then stitch off the fabric at the edge to travel. This distributes the fullness--usually the reason you are doing the piano keys in the first place!!;)

The double piano keys ( also called beadboard) is easy to do--the SID in the seam is the short distance, and the long stretch is off the fabric. Use your hopping foot to measure the narrow area. That design always looks so intensive, but it is quick to do. And it will look like a lattice treatment on a floral border.

I have done a single scallopy feathered line in the border--taking up only a third of the area to fill, and then done a quarter-inch echo. Then I did inch and a half piano keys--I backtracked at the feather echo to get to the next mark and off the fabric at the edge. This requires two passes--one the outside area and one the inside-- but it was very impressive. The most time-comsuming part was marking the spacing for the keys.

Archived