I am sooo fustrated...

Tangled Threads

Hi Deb,

I have a CQ also....my advice would be to contact the dealer who installed your system and get them to help you if you are feeling that frustrated. The manual is very well written, go through the exercises and you will master it. Take your time and learn the manual from start to finish, you will get this figured out. Sometimes, it helps to shut down the system in proper sequence and reboot in proper sequence to get the gremilns to leave. (the sequence is... to start up: turn on CQ screen and computer let it load, open up CQ program, turn on stepping motor power (box on LH side of frame), turn on power to longarm head, flip 2 switches on face of longarm to on. To shut down...do above in reverse...shut off 2 switches, power on head off, stepping motor power off, shut down CQ program.)

Also, log onto the CQ website and ask for help there, the responses are really quick and very helpful.

"Jog" refers to moving the machine head with the keyboard to a certain spot on a quilt to begin quilting.

Hope this helps.

hey thanks everyone...Deloa called, and like I told her..."I will get this, I just had to walk away"!! and yes, I did have to shut it down once, my putter froze up- and I thought I was doing something wrong.....but what!!! so I did not realise it froze till after 1 hour of fustration...:mad: so- when I talked to DeeDee- she said,,,,walk away, take a break...and I did, now I am reading the manual...tomorrow will be a better day.....I hope....

The other thing with the jog feature is that you need to use the numeric keypad on the right of the keyboard. If you use the arrows just to the left of that (the ones in a cluster by themselves), it causes the jog not to work. You then need to use the mouse to open the "Jog Pad" at the lower right of the screen, use that once and it reactivates it. Also jog doesn't work from the setup page.

As to "how far out from the bar" that will depend on where the limit switch is placed on your top carriage. If you move the machine back until it stops (it will reset to 0.00 x/y). I like to move the needle forward from this about 0.400 and use this as a starting point (panot's anyway). If you don't it will hit the limit swith when it gets to that part of the pattern.

Not sure if any of my answer was what you were asking, but thought I'd try.

Regards

Hang in there. It gets easier, I promise. You're getting good advice from everyone. The manual is your best friend and keep it nearby. It is very frustrating in the beginning and you do need to walk away once in a while. You are going to love your CQ once you get things running a little smoother. There are a lot of things to learn. Just takes a little patience. Good Luck and each time you figure out how to handle a problem, it probably won't be a problem again because you will know what to do. I think it is called experience.

Sherry

Millie/CQ

Hi Deb

You have some great suggestions above. The first thing I do when my machine won't jog is check that the num light is activated, then I must use the numeric keypad not the windows arrows, then I make sure that the extension lead that plugs into the keyboard has not come loose, then if all else fails totally close down your CQ computer and reboot.

After getting your training when CQ was installed, you do need to go through all the exercises in the manual so that things will "sink in", the programme is jammed packed with wonderful features that you cannot possibly remember from the training session.

Once you get to know your CQ, you will just love it. I have been churning out at least 2 quilts a day recently for the bushfire appeal (pics coming soon) and my CQ has worked constantly without a hitch.

On those quilts, Darlene Epp sent me her digitised meander design to use on those quilts. I set CQ up for the width of the quilt, type in length as anything longer than I know it is, make the interlocking whatever looks good on the screen, quilt to the end and then just crop the height on the last row - so quick. I think a single bed quilt takes about 1 1/4 hours with this pattern.

Good luck Deb,

sue in Australia

Deb, it is always best to take a break once in a while when learning CQ. In the beginning there were several times I really HAD TO WALK AWAY :mad: for a while. But then it would dawn on me what I was missing. I keep a small ruler & a tape measure next to me at all times when working on CQ.

I know this is probably a no-no, but I lowered my stops to the point where they aren't triggered at all, so then my measurements in relationship to the bars is exactly the same as if I was freehanding. I just make sure to take the needle plate, etc into consideration when laying out designs. I hated having my throat space limited & figured I'd take the chance that I might run into the bar if I mis-measured. I've only done that a couple of times in almost 5 years.

Also I jog until I get pretty close. Then if I am trying to really get things done & don't want to doink around with jogging to the exact spot, I will shut off the motors at the gray box so that they are released just enough to move the machine head a little to the exact spot that I want to start sewing or the center or whatever spot I need it to be at. Then I turn that switch back on & go ahead. I don't have an overhead touch screen so jogging to the exact location is an exercise in fustration for me sometimes. It is easier to walk back & forth 1 time then a half dozen. Just make sure you move the head slowly so that you don't strip the cable & that you turn the switch back or you'll be wondering why it only did one stitch (there is enough leftover power in the cords to lower the needle but that's about it).

Then just take it slow, work through the manual a little each day. I think it works best to split up your time in the beginning - a couple hours with CQ, then freehand for a little while each day. This way if you are use to freehand you'll still be able to get work done & not be so stressed about hurrying to learn CQ.....&.....if you are new to all of it, then it's good practice to learn freehand, even when you have a computerized system. You'll be thankful in the end because there are times where both do a great job & times where the other would be preferred. The trick is to use what works best for you & for the quilt at any given time.

Best of luck & if you get stuck just email me. I'd be happy to help if possible.;)

Archived