More pokie problems, this time Bamboo batting.

Hi. I know there have been a lot of posts about pokies, but nobody has ever mentioned it happening on bamboo batting. I am currently working on a quilt with Arctic Bamboo, am using Gutermann variegated cotton thread and the backing is dark brown solid cotton. It is half done, so there is not much I can do about it now, but I thought I can learn a few things for next time and maybe even improve matters on the 2nd half of the quilt.

The pokies was sporadic for the first two rows and then now it is all over and on almost every stitch. I'm going to change the needle, but currently only have 4.0 and 4.5 on hand, so I am limited in choices. I'm also going to loosen the quilt on the frame. This is all information I've gained from reading posts about bearding on this forum. Yay for the forum!! :P

I was wondering which side of the bamboo batting should be up. I currently have the fuzzy side up, but don't know which was which. In fact, once I started reading all these posts about bearding I didn't even realize there was a right and wrong side to battings!

Does anyone know if Arctic Bamboo beardinig retreats itself after washing? Can I fluff it in the dryer before attaching a binding? It is a customer quilt (a wall-hanging). Thanks!

Caroline,

I'm confused. Are you talking about bearding or pokies, Bearding is normally little hairy looking pieces of batting all over the back, no stitching is required for bearding. Bearding usually happens when either the backing is thin and the batting sneaks thru or the batting is upside down.

Pokies are when the batting and/or the thread pokes thru with each stitch.

Which one are you having problems with?

I use Winline Bamboo on alot of my quilts. I always take the inside (the part folded in) and face it towards the backing fabric. I have never experienced bearing after washing a quilt with bamboo. Pokies I can maybe understand depending on the quality of the backing fabric, and with such a large size needle. I quilt using a 4.0 needle at the largest. Hope this helps.

Hi Linda - I am sorry - it is the 'pokies' I am having. I am a new LA quilter and some of the terminology is new for me. Also, I looked again and it is a 4.0 needle I am using - my post should have read '4.0 and 4.5 is all I have on hand'. I am going to change the needle to a 4.0. Do you know if the pokies go away with washing?

I took a look and I have the inside of the batting towards the top - that might be the problem. Looking at it closely, the inside is kind of fluffier and the outside seems to have a bit of texture.

The quilt I currently have on the table has pokies YUCK! I go with the "dirty side up" rule. That rule didn't work this time. And like you mentioned, its too late to do anything about it but finish the quilt. I don't know if washing the quilt helps. I hope someone chimes in on this before the customer picks up today. I'd like to give her a possible solution.

Caroline,

Sometimes the pokies will go away with a couple of washings. I've only had this happen with Hobbs 80/20 and it is so frustrating I find that thread has a lot to do with it. You might want to try a different type of thread. Sometimes the threads are hairy, at least under magnification they are, and those little hairs grap as they go through. For instance think about how cotton batting really graps onto cotton fabric so well! Same thing with thread. If using a natural fabric try using a smooth poly thread and see waht happens.

Like Fabric - batting is usually folded so that the right side is out. I place the folded ( inside ) towards the backing fabric and the outer (right side) towards the quilt top.

Also if the batting has a visible ( shine or sheen side) scrim to it this side goes toward the backing fabric.

Don't usually have any problems then.

Lyn

Hi Everyone, I wanted you to know that I replaced the needle and blam! the problem is gone! I was surprised because I had a new needle in at the beginning, but maybe it was a bad needle to begin with? Anyway, I still have 1/2 a quilt with pokies to deal with. Fortunately I read Dawn's note about using a marker to 'fill in' the white spots with the right colour marker. I am using a Sharpie and it is working out well. However, this is not something I ever want to do again!!

The things I learned?

.. Use the 'inside' (folded side) of the batting toward the backing.

.. If I see batting pokies, change the needle - preferably to a smaller size (i.e. 3.5)

Archived