Sewing a straight line grid with a longarm

Jonick

I would like to know how to sew straight lines on a quilt using a longarm. I have a quilt top that I appliqued and in between the applique blocks is a grid. Do I sew the straight line to the end and stop and start again. Is there a way to do a continuously? I know that this list will have an answer to this. Thanks

Joni

Hi Joni,

When stitching a grid within or around applique, try stitching up to the edge of the applique and then stitch following the edge of the applique to your next mark. In most cases, you will have already outlined the applique before starting your grid work, so it will be a backtrack. At the edges of the block, stitch in the ditch to your next mark. If you end up somewhere dead-ended, end your stitches and tie and bury the ends.

Dragging the thread across the applique is not usually advised--as Nora said, the threads will catch on the bottom side.

Good luck and have fun!

I was just trying to practice this very thing within a large heart shape and all the starts and stops are very ulgy. I'm not sure I have the control to follow the heart shape all the way around and have it look good as I used a template for the outline in the first place, this may be an application of burying the ends at each start and stop? Thanks for the input and any other suggestions?

Hi Shar,

Use a thread color that matches the background to get the best results in this instance-- and a thin thread as well.:) It sounds like you are stitching around not an applique, but a shape that is stitched on first--the heart. This is trickier, since there is no seam or applique edge to hide the backtracking. Then your choices are careful over-stitching on the heart or stops and starts. Either of those is a challenge for anyone. Thin matching thread is your friend!

:P You are right Linda I am practicing on a piece of Linen and it's white and the thread is dark pink, so I'll try another with white thread and see how that comes out. I can understand how it works with applique much better... I have been PPPing today and yesterday some of the stitches PattyJo showed me when I met with her in Spokane last week. I just need more time to quilt and less time at work! this practice piece seems pretty sad when I look at it now. I have been getting away with stuff as my quilts have been about the fabric to this point. My goal is to get good enough to to something in a blank block of fabric! I see some of this forum's practice stuff and feel way under achieved at the moment, but I'll keep working on it.

thanks Linda Rech! I am going to be doing a cross hatch around a hand embroidered motif in the center. I was planning on stitching about 1/4" around each motif and then crosshatching the backround. I am going to have to start and stop ALLOT!!:o I think it will be pretty when done, but allot of time! The whole quilt is this.... It's a beautiful quilt but lots and lots of work!! but....it's the fun kind of work! :) linda

It sounds like you are on track, Shar! Isn't Patty Jo wonderful?:cool:

Here is another hint--if you used a template to stitch around, use that same template in the same place to backtrack around for your grid. This works as long as the template is not giant, and fits back into its spot nicely!:) Just stitch up to your motif edge (that stitched heart), stop with the needle down on the stitching line, slide the template into place and position it correctly. Hold it down, start the machine, and over-stitch to your next mark. Move the template aside and grid some more. You're in business now!!

Yes Patty Jo is wonderful, one can't help but love her to bits! I used the Heart Template from R&S with the stylus at the back of the machine, I certainly see I should get the runlers for the grid and how much easier they would be. I was also using a slightly curved board at the back of the machine as well, ( R&S) so the grid wasn't just straight lines. Anyway I'll keep at it, thanks so much for the tips!! Linda, did I meet you at Bayside Quilting a few months ago? I was there to take a new machine owners class, it was more like boot camp :D.. There were quite a few ladies who came and taught different aspects of quilting with LA's. I can't remember all of them.

I would love to meet you bith Lindas but I don't get to Ohio very often, Linda Rech I do make it to Olympia a couple of times a year . My best friend from High School lives there and we get together when we can. I'll give a "Howdeee" when I am coming over next time, please feel free to do the same if you come to this side of the mountains. I'm smack in the middle between Spokane Washington and Coeur d'Alene Idaho...

Barb is my new hero, she and her hubby came to my house and figured out why my machine wouldn't do a smooth curve, (Flat spot in one of the wheels, but we never could see it or figure out which one it was, but with a lot of patience her hubby found the "bump" on each and every one rotation of the wheels. I had been complaining so long about. The machine just wouldn't let me do a smooth curve in any manner, she told me about the edge riders and then came back and installed them after they were delivered!! Mind you, she didn't sell them and I ordered them from somewhere in Florida. Both are wonderul souls. Right now work is definately getting in the way of quilting for me, someday that will change. I will definately get in touch as soon as a trip is in the works, Right now I am planning on getting to the Eureka Mt. outdoor quilt show, and taking a ton of pictures of qulting, not just the overall quilt as I looked at them from a piecing point of view.

When is the next Moxie meeting? If I have enough notice I can schedule time off, but need quite a lead on it.

Shar for me the best investment was the microdrive handles. I like to be right down on my work and it gives me the control that I need. I love to do cross hatching and applique is probably my fav! It does take patience and I take it slow. Another thing you might want to try is looking at Sharon Schambers techniques. There are pros and cons to it but for very detailed work it works for me.

Thanks Heidi,

I'll look into it, I've really been toying with the thought of those microdrive handles, and I probably won't have to wait for Christmas to get them ;) I also want the thread attachment. It's always a choice of priorities. It seems I really need the extra control. I'm having a lot of problems with my thumbs, and wrists, and sometimes I can't even get a pencil to do what I want it to. Tacking the binding on any quilt is a problem for me, just takes forever, I have to do a little then rest the hands and then do some more. Really frustrating as I used to do a ton of needle work. This is the main reason I bought the APQS Millie, it moves so easily no fighting the heavy machine, It's a huge difference over the Gams I was renting once in a while. I will find the Sharon Schambers info on my next days off.

Thanks again for all the support and help, this group is the best!

Archived