Question regarding needle cutting thread on last stitch

I have a question and I don't know why this keeps happening. I am using my CQ so maybe it is a CQ issue or it could be a general issue.

When I am stitching, everything is working fine. My tension is great, stitches look good. However, when the system takes the last stitch at the end of the row or design, the needle cuts the thread (I can hear the thread being cut). I always bring the bobbin thread to the top and tie off and bury the threads as I don't like the way the stitches look when the CQ does it. When the bobbin thread is cut, it happens before I have a chance to pull the bobbin thread to the top and there is no thread to pull. My last stitch isn't locked down in any way. Today I have been working with a very dense panto design that is 91" long and now these rows are not tacked down and the last stitch is in an area that will NOT be overstitched by my binding.

I thought there might be a problem with my bobbin so I changed to a brand new bobbin. Everything worked great once and then this problem started again. I am really concerned about my stitches because I don't have any thread to tie off and there are no locking stitches.

Any thoughts about why this might be happening? (Oh, I am using pre-wound bobbins but I wouldn't think this has anything to do with the problem.)

Sue, I had a similar problem just the other day, but not exactly like yours. When I would use the single stitch button to bring the bobbin thread up, the bobbin thread would somehow get cut, and I would have no bobbin thread to tie off. I switched to a different bobbin case, and so far it hasn't happened again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but also threw away that bobbin case. I don't know if that would help your problem or not.

I've had that problem too at certain times. I don't know why...the only thing I can think of is the machine is stitching not quite on top of the first stitch or it is so perfect it is cutting the thread. Call Butch tomorrow...he can probably answer your question.

Mine has done this in the past too. Can't remember why it went away. I may have fiddled and retimed it since then. Have you changed the needle and also checked everywhere for burr's?

With the new update (4.) my machine ran faster at the same settings. Now have the Move Head spead set at 1.25 instead of 1.5 in the software.

Sue, I am running with no anchor stitches. Someone on the CQ Yahoo group suggested I bend the little "wings" on the backlash spring (I think that is what that piece in the bobbin case is called) up a little. I'll give that a try tonight when I have a chance to play. Horrors of horrors, I have to work at a desk job all day!

I have had this happen at times and in spurts. It seems to be on certain designs and the needle cuts the bobbin thread, or the bobbin thread catches in the hook somehow. The thread is always very short and looks as if it was pulled tight. The bobbin thread is also sometimes stuck and I have to give it a tug to free it to take the bobbin case out. I usually slow the speed of the head down as it seems to happen when the machine is running a little fast and then it suddenly stops with a jerk. I actually haven't noticed this lately and my spring for the backlash in the bobbin case now has the "wings" bent out quite a bit. I think it may be a combination of backlash and machine speed. I have also adjusted the #gold screw and I think that may have been a problem, too. Let us know what you find out. It is annoying!

Is it sewing at a high rate of speed? Sometimes the heat from the constant movement is just enough to melt/cut the thread in the bobbin. I always try to slow down just a bit before I stop so this doesn't happen....don't know if this makes sense.

Archived