what causes it?

when you are piecing a quilt and using a dark fabric (like a solid kona cotton brown) and you go to press it and you get those 'shiny' spots on the thicker seam allowances...what causes that? is my iron to hot?? or is it just from the bulkier seam allowances.

and most importantly: will it go away?

It could be that the iron is too hot but I don't know for sure. I think it will go away when the quilt is washed. I use an applique pressing technique to minimize it in the first place, at least when I think of it. Press on a fluffy towel instead of directly on your ironing surface. I actually have some folded muslin, eight layers maybe, that I've been pressing on. It works fairly well.

Yes, Mam, it is the sizing. The better quality the fabric, the more sizing you experience. Unless.......they are advertising the softness of the product, then they don't use as much sizing. Think how nice it is to use crisp fabrics - it's the sizing that is making you happy. Having a degree in textiles is actually helpful sometimes. To minimize the shine, turn down the iron and don't use steam or, as mentioned above, use a pressing cloth. But, never worry, it will wash away in the end.

Archived