APQS Handles

Heidi's post about the booties for her Micro Drive handles started me thinking about machine handles. I do not own a machine yet, but have a Millie in my future! :).

I have a question or maybe several questions. The handles on most of the APQS models adjust up and down. How well do they work for the smaller things if positioned all the way down? Why still need the Micro drives? Or do they not go down in the right position to have the control? Do you ever wish the handles had maybe one more poistion? I have issues with my wrists due to RA, sometimes they are painful in one position but if I swivel my hand just a tad then I'm fine.. I'm kinda wishing that there was a point right at the strt of the first part of the bend in the handles toward the front so that the grip would swivel up any where from flat to straight up. I think the wiring in the handles because of the mushroom cap controls might prevent this. Maybe the wires would work loose or something.. If this could be done I think APQS would have perfected perfection!

Any thoughts on this? Any other ideas? Any APQS engineers out there? Would this even be possible? I know that A-1 has fully positionable handles and I'm not crazy about those.

Kena,

I've used both types of handles and I prefer the APQS handles because I can position them the way I want them. The reason I use the micro handles is because my hands actually rest on the quilt and it helps me do the intricate work. It just works for me. There are plenty that never use the micro handles and do beautiful work. I think with your hand problems you'll like being able to adjust the handles and finding the way that works for you. Remember that you can move these machines with your fingertips and you don't need to man handle them. Most of us have to remind ourselves that we don't need a death grip...at least I do!

Hi Heidi. It is interesting that you say that these machines move with your fingertips. I have a Millie (black wheels) and I can't say that I can move it with my fingertips! I'm not 'manhandling it', but still, the control is not there for me - I still feel the machine gliding out on its own (it wants to go one way, I want to go another, reminds me of my kids). Anyways, I digress.... Do you have Edgerider wheels? I'm going to get some soon (I was thinking a Christmas present). Maybe that is why your machine is fingertip friendly? Otherwise, maybe I need to get the level out again and see if all is well. I know I can't loosen the wheels more because when I do, my machine becomes wobbly..

Kenna:

I tried all the major longarm brands before purchasing my Millennium. One of the major features for me was the moveable handles. I have a lot of hand, neck and back issues, and being able to adjust the handles has made it easier for me to quilt without adding to those problems. Just my experience, but I can say my decision to go with APQS has been a winner for me!! You will love your Millie!

Vickie Oliver

Beachside Quilter

APQS Rep SW FL

Caroline,

Barb is right you need to adjust your wheels and find that perfect sweet spot for you. I started having a pulling sensation and discovered it was a bad wheel. I just installed edgeriders last night and all I can say is they are well worth it! I have so much more control now. With that being said you should be able to move you machine with your fingers and just slight movement. It probably is not level if it is wanting to go another direction. Mine was kind of hobbling a little off the line and was getting more consistant. Now it is smooth as silk!

Hi - you guys are truly great! I did TIGHTEN my wheels (against my logical way of thinking) and they are smoother and easier to control. I was getting a bit of a control issue at a certain spot on the table and my first reaction was that the table was not level, but after tightening the wheels, this seems to be better and I even noticed a change in thread tension - the top thread was looser and I had to tighten it. Does this make sense?

Anyway, after reading Heidi's last post about Edgerider wheels, you have me convinced on those too. Afterall - you guys have never mislead me and I saw Heidi's beautiful work BER (Before EdgeRiders), and now that she has them is claiming even better control? How can I resist? They are definately on my Christmas list... if I can wait that long...

My business motto should be "Make a Buck. Spend a Buck!".

Originally posted by carolinequilts

I even noticed a change in thread tension - the top thread was looser and I had to tighten it. Does this make sense?

Actually yes, it does make sense.... For those of us who started out with NON-SR machines we learned that your stitches were good or bad by how you move your machine....if you get it in the sweet spot and have learned how to run in "Super Fast Mode" then when you need to slow down to a slower pace and don't change your speed setting your stitches will either be really yucky, loose, or so tiny to can't get them out....

So with that said you were in a sweet spot with your machine, you knew how fast to move it regardless of SR or manual mode and you weren't either out running your perfect stitches or tripping over them. You may haven't even thought about it, but pretty sure that's what you were doing.;) And now that you have adjusted it, that is an adjustment you need to also make....seems stupid, but its happened to me several times.... AND when I got my EdgeRiders....whow it was even more of a learning curve...I had a hard time not sailing the head across the quilt without me attached.:cool:

Bonnie funny that you say that. I don't get that feeling at all with the ER just that they stop when I stop and glide when I move. I've heard others say the same thing. I really notice the difference in how well they move and stop. Caroline I think my motto is the same as yours. I end up loosing money when I quilt custom because if a quilt needs it I give it and I always under-judge the amount of time it will take. Oh well I enjoy the process!

Archived