Can I put in a flat screw here?

OK, so I'm quilting away, crosshatching with my beloved Linda Rech rulers, and I get stopped by a little lump... I go to the back of the machine and make sure the table is clear - again!

I keep on, and low and behold! another little "bump"... dang! That's frustrating...

So, here's a pic of the "bump" and I'm thinking I can fix this by changing screws... yes, I found the culprit.

post--1346190234914_thumb.jpg

Sometimes when I'm crosshatching near the "top" of the quilt, the machine will get caught on a pin and cause this to happen... However I'm now in the middle and no pins around!

Here's the culprit... I think the machine gets caught on the fabric and the ruler at the same time and it's because this little screw sticks up a bit...

Any other solutions? I thought I could change it to a flat one.... what do ya'll think?

post--13461902349232_thumb.jpg

I think you could change it out easily! What a shame that little thing caused a bump--I am impressed that you found the culprit so easily! I leave my Rulermate on most of the time (extended base) but I will now check my machine for this obnoxious screw as well!

I've had the problem before, and couldn't figure it out. I know I get stuck on pins when I'm near the top... my solution this time is to just turn the quilt when I'm done and that way I'll have the pins on the other side and that works fine... I usually use my extended base, but have been working more quickly with out it this time...

Jewels! The rulers DO have a bit of movement, but I like that because I can align them better...

Linda, I have to say - I'm attempting stuff with those rulers I wouldn't have before... THANKS! I LOVE THEM!

Thanks for the check, Bobbi! I sometimes have a little glich too, and I didnt' know why~! I find that my Linda R crosshatch rulers work best without my extended base...what do all you others find....Linda, is there a right or wrong with using or not using an extended base? What do you suggest? thanks! linda

There really is no wrong way--it's only wrong if it doesn't work for YOU!:D

If I am crosshatching the interior I do not use the base. If I am stitching the border, the base seems to give a flatter area to view and to stitch, so I do use my Rulermate base then. The rulers have a bit of play which helps with wonky piecing (like an Irish Chain where you are hatching through the corners of the piecing) I press down on the ruler as I stitch--the pressure from the hopping foot may nudge the ruler off the line, so downward pressure helps. The closer to the end of the ruler, the more liable you are to pull the tubing away from the roller, so a bit of extra care at that time will help.

And Jewels, yes, sandpaper dots or plastic stick-ons that you might use with your rotary rulers will help if you want to apply them. I have used Press-and-Seal on the back of my rotary rulers before and that works well also. I hope this helps.

Bobbi - I had that problem too, but had a little acrylic piece made with holes drilled out for those two screw heads. I just curl up 2 pieces of masking tape under it, and it seems to snap into place. Stays for the whole quilt and then some!

This piece also fits right into the section of my extended base, which is a Hartley, came with the machine. Gives me a nice flat surface to work on.

I actually use the non-skid stuff for in bathtubs. Learned that from our own Dawn C. You can buy rolls of it a Home Depot for cheap, and cut off a bit. Don't like the sandpaper, seems to scratch some fabrics and is at times too grippy. You do need to be able to move the ruler smoothly.

OK, so I learned some new things! Thanks!

As I was quilting a bit a go I tried to do my crosshatching with a bit less pressure on the ruler... voila! no bimp! YAY!

I also learned that when I stop my machine abruptly that I get bobbin whiplash... and breaking thread, but (since I dont' have a SR) if I just slowly keep the machine moving - about a quarter of an inch - after I have pushed the shut off button, no whiplash...

I guess that's what you get with an older machine, but I don't mind now that I know! Knowledge IS everything!

Originally posted by Bobbi47

I also learned that when I stop my machine abruptly that I get bobbin whiplash... and breaking thread, but (since I dont' have a SR) if I just slowly keep the machine moving - about a quarter of an inch - after I have pushed the shut off button, no whiplash...

Now you have learned the ULT I and II slide into home base dance....We all had to learn that one....it cuz the machine takes two or three stitches after its turned off.....kinda like a huge dinosaur...you step on its tail and it take a few minutes to get to the brain to say "OUCH".....or flick you off whichever it decides to do.:cool:;);)

Archived